Scanned manuals..

Started by Blake, December 23, 2002, 09:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Hey everyone,

Alright..i finally got the factory manual completely scanned (nearly 300 pages) in pdf format and with the ocr program used on every page so now you can search for something like "valve" and every instance of valve in the factory manual will come up.  its a single file thats about 400 megs big because i scanned each page using 360dpi so that you can really zoom into the pictures (i didnt like the quality of 300 so i opted for the extra 4megs per page and went with 360dpi)...  all in all, a few hours a day it took me about 3  or 4 days to scan it all.  this seems like a pretty good idea so now i can just search for something that im looking for.  only thing now that i would like to do is make links like you see in professionally made pdf files so that you dont have to search all 300 pages to find chapter 7 (electical..is it bad that i know that off the top of my head?)  anyway, i was toying with the idea of also scanning the haynes manual, but if i did that, i would most likely want to literally cut the pages out of the book so that i could get a good scan like i did for the factory manual (i have the factory manual in a 3 ring binder-binding of original book crapped out).  anyone think i should go for it?  I scanned the factory manual because of the fact that the pages were loose and i wanted to see what i could get..and i will say it came out pretty good.  Would anyone be interested in this?  if i did pass copies out, would anyone be against me charging a few bucks to cover the cost of the cd's, shipping, and my time? (trust me..wont be a lot.)  There would be a cd for each manual, but also, anyone have any suggestions as to anything else to include with these things?

Just wanted to share the news,

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Humber

Hi Blake

I am with you, I will be the first man to buy it from you, I mean OEM factory manual....

Anyway, u can place it on some ftp server....;)
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

I shot you an email concerning copyright laws and the poss of including your scans as an appendix to the suppliment i'm writing.  i'll keep y'all updated.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

I Emailed my brother who used to work for the SPA (software police) about copyright laws. he is putting me in touch with a copyright lawer friend of his. so when I have a chance to discuss this with him i'll let you know more.  

Also talked to a friend of mine who is a lawer, he's friends with a professor at Northeastern University who specializes in copyright law.  

the other thing i'll do is check out copyright.com sometime this week, right now Santa is tired...

My guess is that if I use it in my suppliment, or if you sell it Blake, there could be problems. i'm not even sure you can give it away leagaly...

That being said, I doubt anyone would care if you sold a CD of say, naked pictures of my bike, but accidentaly sent a CD with the manual on it.  By mistake of course... ;)

--Lucky

VK

I would be interested in buying a copy of your scanning efforts.  VK

Humber

Hey Blake, If you are afraid of selling those papers because of some stupid laws, just contact your POlish Xz friend.....

To tell the truth, We don't really care for copyright laws here in Poland

If u need help, I can distrubute it for you ;D

PS
Really interested in your manual!!!!
nie ma podpis?w

RobTx

Count me in.  A few bucks for an ftp download or a few more for a CD would be very reasonable.  
Rob

lesrowe

Hi Blake, would be well interested in the scanned manual. All the best from the UK
Les  :D

bikeseamus

Blake  I say make this info available to everyone. If some clownhead lawyer sniffs lost money in attacking you or us over this, I think he or she could easily be humiliated out of their slot in the litigation sweepstakes. Laws are changed by challenging stupid rules that benefit no one. Forge onward in the endless quest to oust the jerks out of your life,and do a good thing for your fellow bikers. Damn the jerks and full speed ahead. I'll order one right now and do my best to fight the frivolous litigators.I'm with you on this, and will offer encouragement, humor, and logistical support if called upon. Ride on, brother!

Lucky

Before you go spouting off:
Yes, There is a need for the manual, BUT

You need to be careful here, i've contacted Yamaha about using the manual, waiting for a reply, and have gotten permission from others to use their stuff, including Electrex.
Point is, this is exactly how these lawers make their living, going after all who infringe.  if they let one small guy get away with it then it sets a precident for the big guys to do it.  They are very serious about it too.  I've talked to 2 lawer friends about it.

Is there a big chance they will go after Blake or myself if we copy? probably not. If they do is there a good chance that they would prosicute? Absolutley.  the end result i'm told, would be loss of any website connected (ie:mine (Vision Resources), & Ron's (this) Forum. all the way up to hefty fines and fee's set high to discourege this type of thing.  do I agree with it? to a point, but it's better to be safe than sorry, I don't feel it's worth the risk of losing these sites and you guys...

Remember Napster? This isn't a traffic ticket we're trying to beat, this is worldwide corperations with tons of $$$

my .02  --Lucky

bikeseamus

Lucky is right. I'm new to this ROV site, like it, don't want to see it threatened. I guess I spent too many years in Alaska, developed a frontier attitude toward litigation in general. Since I'm an old motorhead bikerider and a goofball kinda guy, I'll stick to humor and tech stuff. OK!

Blake

Hm...Interesting thing about the Napster.  Wasn't there a ruling that downloading mp3's for the CD's that YOU ALREADY OWN is legal??  So if someone who would like to have a digital copy of the factory manual ALREADY OWNS the "paperback" version, would there be any actual wrong doing going on???  if not, then i might just have to offer this to those of you who already own the factory manual and would just like a digital version for quick reference... ;)  ;D

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

I've been waiting to hear what you thought since your first post.  interesting deviousness to your mind  ;D

anyway, let us know when you have them available.
--Lucky

Blake

What i think?   I see the point of the copyright laws and how the lawyers would love to go after someone like me...but i dunno..  Right now im home from college on break but ill be heading back this saturday. (i left my cdr's there on accident) so expect me to have some copies next week sometime...

I'll keep all of you updated..

Blake

bikeseamus

Blake  why not cut to the chase on this. Go to yamaha's website, clearly explain your intention to keep these antiques on the road,what you would like to do, and see what thay say. Their reply would probably be considered a legal document,bang! Done deal.They may even offer to help. It costs nothing, risks nothing,involves little, and could result in good things for everybody. Whaddayathink?