News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Modern Gasolines,and starter brushes

Started by bikeseamus, January 07, 2003, 12:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikeseamus

A good friend of mine who manages the service dept. of a big dealership spoke to me about a study of gasolines available on the US market. He said American Honda found out that Amoco Clear was the most compatible with their motorcycle engines. It combusted more completely and left less deposits on plugs and combustion chambers. It also handled storage a little better without leaving the gumbomess we have all come to dread. I might mention that I fitted some starter brushes from a GM starter rebuild kit into my vision starter. A little filing and fitting and I had four new brushes. Took about fifteen minutes with a flat fine tooth file. The brushes look like copper, but they aren't. they file fast. Any auto parts store worth their salt will show you what they have, and the better ones will have just the brushes. Saved a bunch of trouble and money. Four new brushes for five bucks.

Lucky

Ok, so I have to ask, starter for what kind of GM, and what store, because I know that if I try to find 'em they'll be $40 ?:o

what did you do about insulating the lead to the pos bolt? ?I tried that too a while back and after soldering the lead to the bolt the insulation was in pretty poor shape.

Be sure that they are not copper-carbon brushes which are soft, they'll wear out in a month (found that out first hand too)

I ended out shelling the $50 for Yamaha's brush plate, but I feel it was worth it.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikeseamus

Lucky  The starter brushes came out of an Echlin box at my local NAPA store. I'm sorry I didn"t get the part #, but there were about six different little boxes of starter brushes he had, I just chose the ones I could split. Pep Boys stocks starter rebuild kits with good candidates too, but you will end up with a bendix repair piece or two that you don't need. I did solder the wire to the post as closely as I could, after compressing added insulation, then pushed it back. Used a needletip type soldering gun. Make sure you get starter brushes. You're right, alternator brushes will be eaten like popcorn. Pep Boys will sell you the big kit for about 13 bucks. Ride on.