swingarm bearings

Started by Kevin, February 18, 2007, 11:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I pulled the swingarm off Carlie's bike today, I plan on having it powercoated black, I have never liked the silver on the 82's. There is a seal and driveshaft carrier bearing about 2&1/2" inside the swingarm tube, I don't know if I can get the bearing out without ruining it. Has anyone taken this apart?     

louthepou

I remember changin the oil seal in there once, but not the bearing. My gut feeling: I do not believe you can take it out without trashing it.

But that's just an educated guess (getting the seal out required quite a lot of pounding).

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Kenny

Hi Kevin,
      Why do you need to disassemble the inside if your painting the outside, you should be able to seal the ends up so nothing gets inside.
                 Just a thought.
                                    Ken S ;)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Kevin

Powdercoating requires heating to 350-400 degrees. I checked with the local yamaha dealer, they said the seal and bearing are no longer avaliable. I could round these parts up eventually, but I  think it will be much easier to sandblast the swingarm  and have a buddy paint it.   

Coil Coyle

Kevin,
           Once the bearing is pressed out, it will most likely be available on the bearing market.
Yamaha would not have engineered a one off bearing, they would have worked from industrial standards and catalogs.

$0.02
;)
Coil

louthepou

That still leaves the issue of the oil seal, though...

Painting sounds like a better idea,

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Kevin

Yup, I'm taking the easy way "for once". I sandblasted and drppped it off to be painted today.

haunter

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on February 20, 2007, 08:47:31 AM
Kevin,
           Once the bearing is pressed out, it will most likely be available on the bearing market.
Yamaha would not have engineered a one off bearing, they would have worked from industrial standards and catalogs.

$0.02
;)
Coil

exactly

if you can't find it get me the dimensions, and I can get it for you, my buddy owns a machine shop
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

tremalzo

kiwibum

Bit late for Kevin. But just in case anyone else comes across this with a similar bearing question. You will find that ALL bearings and seals are readily available from a bearing/seal shop such as SKF. An auto electrican friend mine had a bunch of bearing cross reference manuals that reference the number on the side of the bearing to manufacture and all dimensions of the bearing.  He had much delight in going through and showing me how the old 38 Chev gearbox he was restoring had standard bearings he could order from the local bearing supplier. Note the these cars aren't common in New Zealand, no parts are available.

I use a local "seal importer" for my all my seals for two reasons, the guy used to work on the bike I now own/ride (he actually put me on to the owner that was selling it) and he knows his stuff on which are the best seals to use. Like everything else, not all seals are the same quality, so going there I know I'm getting the best quality seal for the job (pressure requirements, material, etc.). Normally better seals than the standard original Yamaha part and always a far better price.

Just my 2c for what it's worth, don't hold back on a job just becuase the local Yamaha dealer says the bearings or seals are no longer available.