POR for Yics leaks?

Started by dex3703, December 18, 2002, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dex3703

Has anybody tried using POR or a similar substance to seal the leaking Yics box? Can anybody think of another pour-in substance that might work? I don't really have a way to do the saw thing and would be reluctant to try it.

What dope thought making the Yics out of plastic was a good idea anyway?

Lucky

Jason reports that he has allways been able to pop them open at the seams with a rap or 2 of a hammer.  haven't tried it myself...

Actually, I think the plastic worked out pretty well for  20 years.  The plastic was probably chosen for it's flexibility properties.  because it has to take in fuel mixture under pressure and expell it under vacume, it has to be able to "breath".  You used to see a lot of cars with the steel 'coffee can' vacume resivoir for the AC system, but this didn't take nearly the stresses that a YICS does.  I doubt there are too many other metals with similar charicteristics, Aluminum would need to be very thick to keep from cracking, and therefore would be too rigid, steel too thin and vulnerable to the caustic effects of fuel and humidity.

as an alternative to 'pour-in's you might try using a fuel proof epoxy that you can get at most hobbiy shops, and coating the outside, although this won't do anything for an internal leak.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

After splitting it open. JBWeld on all the seams is the best. Either the quick set or regular type will work.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Cdnlouie

I agree with Jason on the epoxy trick. ?You just need to grab a hacksaw and cut it in two. ?The epoxy can cover a multitude of sins. ?It is very forgiving if you are a little off. ?Square off the gasket mating surface on a piece of emery or sandpaper to get a clean surface add a little extra around the perimeter for style and voila!

Do use the right epoxy though.  Not all of them are good for this type of work.  The JBWeld is good.

Just do it! ?Live a little!