News:

Main Menu

Double Vision

Started by ricep55, November 24, 2002, 05:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricep55

Since I had my 1983 Vision, I have always thought that Yamaha should have come out with a bike that used the Daddy of the Vision motor (the Venture/VMax motor) and put it in a sport touring frame and fairing and called it the "Double Vision".

Corny perhaps, but that motor turned out to be the more stable relative than the early death of the twin version.

If I had unlimited $$, I probably would grab a VMax motor, put EFI on it and get it in a nice perimeter frame with a sport touring setup. That would be my new "Vision".

Rick G

Have you read the latest issue of Motorcyclest? There maybe a new Vmax  comming. one that handles better and stops better. It still will not be a sport/tourer, more like a SPORT?tourer.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QQBS

I believe the V Max engine was based on the Vision engine, not the other way around.  Cheers.

ricep55

While I certainly wouldn't argue you to the death on it, I do remember that when the Venture was announced as Yamaha's Gold Wing killer bike, that they were also coming out with a entry level bike using the same technology. I could have a brain snooze on that one.

While everyone went nuts looking at the Venture, the Vision was kind of ignored... Until it tested with the fastest quarter mile for a 550. But that only lasted for about 2 months, when Kawasaki came out with the KZ550 shortly thereafter. It beat the Vision in the quarter and the press rarely covered it after that.

It was all part of Yamaha's grand plan to outsell Honda in 1982 and 1983. Honda only had the FT500 and later the VT500 in the same segment. The Vision weighed more but clearly beat them both in performance. When the Interceptor 500 came out, that killed what was left of any edge the Vision had.

To be honest, I was looking to get an 82 Seca 400!! And when I saw the 83 Vision with the fairing, I was hooked! I paid $2700 for it.

Yes, I saw the write ups on the speculated next gen V-Max. I think they should stick with the power cruiser format with Mr. Max and make the styling more funky and less traditional. I saw a prototype power cruiser by Suzuki (I think) that at first glance (and people wrote to Cycle World and said the same thing) looked like a V-Max replacement.

Thankfully I don't live in California, but I wish I had access to all of the custom bike shops there to build my custom Vision.

ricep55

I might add:

If the next gen V-Max comes with EFI instead of the V-boost, and uses the same basic motor, I am one step closer to my new Vision. :D

If only I could get an Aprilia Futura RST1000 with shaft drive, then that would be my new Vision. I hate chains. :'(

Brian Moffet

QuoteWhile everyone went nuts looking at the Venture, the Vision was kind of ignored... Until it tested with the fastest quarter mile for a 550. But that only lasted for about 2 months, when Kawasaki came out with the KZ550 shortly thereafter. It beat the Vision in the quarter and the press rarely covered it after that.

Funny thing, the Venture was twice the vision, but not quite.  The reason I know this is that my father owned (still owns actually) a Yamaha Venture, and my mother and I both owned Visions.  I still own mine.  

We had twice as many wheels :-)

Brian