SIDE-STAND SWITCH

Started by FRANZ, October 22, 2002, 09:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRANZ

My side-stand switch will only work if I put the bike on the centerstand and pull the switch button down by hand!

If I cut the wires, how do I rewire?

Should I buy a new switch? Where?

Can it be rebuilt?

Thanks for all and any advice!

Lucky

You can bypass the side stand switch by removing the black wire with the white stripe from the 6 pin connector on the TCI modual (behind the right hand body cover.  or you can cut this wire.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

FRANZ

Thanks Lucky!

But is this the best way to handle this problem?

FRANZ

Lucky

well, it's a safety thing, you don't want to take off, both feet on the pegs, flip a quick left and pivot on the side stand. you'll only do it once though lol.  the other thing is, if you do it you could end up breaking the side stand.  personally, one thing i took from the MSF course a long time ago is that when your sitting on the bike, the sidestand goes up.  do it every time and it will be habit.
 I have mine disconnected, for me it's overkill, i'm more concerned with over-reving the engine when i'm riding hard, so i reconnected the rev limiter i disconnected when i bought the bike...
--Lucky

Cdnlouie

If anyone remembers the bad old days before sidestand swithches, almost everyone remembers riding off into the sunset and on your first left turn grinding metal and a twitch in the bike hitting the pavement.  It is quite a thrill.

Perhaps the best solution was a good old fashioned piece of rubber attached at the bottom of the sidestand that would hit the pavement and flip your sidestand back up.  We use to modify our stands when these first came out.  They started appearing in the late 70's and then most bikes went to the electronic switch.  It was really cool for safety and reliability.

Louie  ;)

Cosmic Ray

I have a side stand with switch, harness and connector for sale. $10 + s&h. It's a safety thing so don't disable it, replace it. Check my post of 10/7/02, on the swap board, item #2.

Lucky

I have my sidestand disconnected at the TCI as it was causing problems starting the bike, and I have no oil sending unit (I have a guage hooked up instead)
so what I did was took the wire that goes to the oil sending unit (if grounded, it lights the red light on the dash) ?and hooked it up to one wire on the side stand switch, I then grounded the other wire from the sidestand switch. ?now if I see the red light on, I remember to flip up the sidestand. ?neat huh? :)

Humber

Hey Lucky, Can u imagine that European Visions don't have side stand switch???? Sometimes it gave a real thrill but I have to admit that the stand is designed in such a way that it closes whenever you lean the bike. (But this sound oh GOSH)

Lucky what about disconnecting this rev lmiter, what are advantages of doing it???? Where is it I will do it the way you did it - if it goes with performers I WAT to copy it....

So???
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

I think this particular bike would tend to flip the stand up, it's not a particuarly long stand.  US "safety" regulations probably required the use of a safety switch.  either that or you have one but don't know it because it doesn't work anyway...

The reason for disconnecting the rev limiter isn't for more power,  the TCI which gets feedback from the tach cuts power to the front(?) coil to cut that cylinder in an over-rev situation.  if the TCI malfunctions then the front cylinder may cut out randomly or not work at all.  the solution is to disconnect the wire at the TCI

jasonm.

Lucky, Since you disconnected the wire at the TCI instead of the stand switch. Does your bike start in gear with the clutch out? That could make you jump. ;D Sounds like you bypassed the entire safety starting/running system.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

It does,  when i got the bike it would only crank and not fire.  After finding Leathers FAQ I ran out and pulled the safety relay and disconnected the 2 wires from the TCI.  It will start with the bike in gear and/or the sidestand down.  I've done both ONCE (I try not to make the same stupid mistake twice)
I never investigated which was the cause, relay or sidestand switch.  also, the clutch switch at the clutch lever fell apart last summer, so that came out also.

It is habit for me now to check for a green light, pull in the clutch and flip up the side stand before I turn the key and hit the button.  I even do this on unfamilar bikes.
--Lucky

FRANZ

Lucky,

I cut the wire at the TCI.  Now I am unable to start the bike in gear.  What can I do to rectify?

Do I need the side-stand switch for inspections?

If anyone has a working switch pleas e-mail me.

Thanks!

Lucky

your not supposed to be able to start the bike in gear...unless the clutch lever is pulled in.

depends on your state I think, it's not required here to pass inspection though (RI)
--Lucky

Rick G

I removed the idestand switch when it started to malfunction. I forget to put my stand up at least once every ride ( my memory isn't for ca ca anymore)  and it just makes aslight scrapeing noise  as it goes up. reminds me that I'm getting a little slow! I like the rubber finger on the end idea.  I too come from an era before big brother went every where with me.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

matt

I am looking at putting on an industrial grade limit switch, It has taken 5 weeks for the skin on my left arm to grow back after 180-ing the bike on my first real corner out of the driveway  :-[. Serves me right, I will have to get used to the engine dying when the stand goes down. I'll post some details in January of the re-work.