NEED R/R- Will others work ?

Started by MrMe, April 02, 2005, 12:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMe

HELP
I need one i am sure they are hard to come by. But any help would be usefull. If I ride with a bad r/r will further damage be done ?
Thanks
Brian

louthepou

I'm sure many of us here have a few spares (I probably do in the shed). Plus, my mechanic was telling me that there are a few Honda ones that would do the job and stand the test of time. So...

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

MrMe

Thanks
If you could check for me that would be sweet.
Brian

silicon_toad2000

do a search of the old posts and the archive, I know someone put up a list of R/R's that will work and I saved it but unfotunately my hard drive crashed and I lost it all, 10 pages of useful V tidbits (wipes away a tear).
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Rob_OS23

I think I have 2 or 3 R/R's
I am not sure how to test them, I have no reason to believe they are no good.  I can check them out if someone tells me how.

Rick G

I'm using one from a kwaker KZ 1100  but and KZ R/R  will work   also another one is the Honda CX500. Both are superior  to the stock one in that the heat sink is larger.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

louthepou

I have some free time tomorrow, will try to find out (also about diagnostic steps for Rob)

Louis

Lucky

Rob, d/l the electrex tests from their site, and a simplified version of that is here: http://www.xz550.com/RRTESTS.jpg

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rob_OS23

Extent

Depending on what's wrong with your R/R, and how bad it is might it take the stator along with it?  I wouldn't do too much riding with a failing electrical system (been there, done that)

If all else fails pick up a Rick's from Dennis Kirk, but I'm sure someone here can fix you up.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

MrMe

Thanks all !!!
I did the stator test it seems fine. Man another fine day shot in the ass. LOL

louthepou

Glad to read that. I checked some spares, one has a connector in bad shape, the other has one that's been cut-off. Go figure. ???

Cheers,

Louis

MrMe

Lewis
I would solder the r/r on so the connector isnt an issue
Let me know if you want to get rid of one.
Brian