News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

No Spark-Ideas?

Started by mrsoup, November 16, 2002, 05:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsoup

I have no spark on my 83. The stator died this summer and I replaced it with a new one from Rick's. Bike started and ran for several minutes, long enough to put a meter on the charging system and to test a couple R/R that I had laying around. I shut it off and the next day tried to start it again. It has not run since. I have replaced the Igniter/TCI box with two different used ones (I have no way to tell if these are good units) and still have no spark. I bypassed the sidestand swith, tested the kill switch, checked the pickup coil (115.8ohms), checked fuses, verified 'neutral', even pulled clutch in and raised sidestand, still no fire! What am I overlooking here guys? This is getting very frustrating and tough to track down.

jasonm.

Find the "safety relay". I think the wires from the side stand switch go to it. If that relay is bad. No spark but the starter will work. If you have a wiring diagram it's simple to find.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

QQBS

Check the spark coil connections in the steering head area.  They should be bright and shiney.  Also, double check the "Ignition" fuse and its holder prongs for corrosion.  Do a temporary jump across the holder and see what happens.  We're with you.  Cheers.

Dave T.

I would ohm out the spark plug wires and coils. You can pull the wire out of the coil and check the resistance from the cap receptacle to the end of the wire. Then check the coil itself. The coil only should have around 8100 ohm's of resistance. The spark plug cap and wire should have around 5000 ohms. I would just get a new NGK cap and wire. Check plug gap, get a new one if in doubt. I wouldn't get a resistor type plug, this may limit current too much at the cost of RF interference but there isn't much low voltage controls around the spark area.

Also check if the coil has 12VDC to it when the key is on. The TCI takes sinks voltage away from the coil when the HE switch sends the signal, then the coil field collapses sparking the plug. You might have to turn the rotor away from the HE switch.
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)