News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Speedo died?

Started by Rob_OS23, April 05, 2005, 09:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob_OS23

Well, I went out for a lovely ride today, and yesterday too.  Anyways, so I am heading home, as the sun had sunk below the trees, and the chill was reminding me it wasn't summer yet.  Well, I hit a spot well known locally as "The Long Swamp".
It is what it sounds like, a long swamp.  It is a prime place to pass anybody that has been holding you up, as it is long, and strait.  So, I eye up the car in front of me, who has been going 10 km under the speed limit for five minutes.  There is a car coming at me in the opposite lane.  I drop down into 4th, and wait.  It passes, and as soon as possible, I pull out and blow by the car, popping up into fifth at about 8500 RPMs.  By now, I am expecting to be going about 140 km at least, maybe 145, and I very quickly glance to see what I'm doing.  I am surprised to see that I am going so quickly, the needle has wrapped itself right around.  Oh, wait a minute, it has stopped working.....it says I'm doing zero.
Did I break something?

Lucky

check the cable, make sure it's well lubed & the ends are tight.
put the bike on the center stand & have someone sit on the back to lift the ft tire off the ground. spin the tire & listen for any noise, grinding etc. if so your sppedo may be chewed.. take it out of the housing & inspect it...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ps2/bikevision

that happend to me my tach worked but no speedo. all it was was the cable came loose from the dash. thats what it sounds like to me if your tach still works.

Lucky

one has nothing to do with the other...

ProfessorRex

My cable broke (it was old, rusted through) under similar conditions.  Replacements are easily available on denniskirk.com and eBay
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

Napa has a universal replacement, see the psrts catalog on this site for the part #.  i've been running one for years.

Rob_OS23

Thanks for the help everyone, I am going to go check it out.  Glad to hear it isn't something big :)