News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Starter Seals

Started by Free-V, August 21, 2002, 09:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Free-V

I got back this summer after 3 months of being away from my Vision.  My father had run the bike to town once but while I was away but he was unable to start it the second time.

When I returned I suspected that the battery was weak and sure enough, when I put the charger on it fired up after a bit of cranking.  After an extended cruise I stop shortly to eat lunch.   When I tried to start it again all I got was a weak "rrrrroaw-rrrrrroww".  

About this time I was begining to have a minor panic attack over having to spring for a stator.  I bump started it and rode it home and much to my relief the battery has 12 volts without the engine running so it must be charging OK.

After closer inspection I found it was leaking oil profusely from around the starter.  

My questions are what is the best way to go about getting seals and, do I need to get new brushes?

I remember a post that mentioned using a Honda seal and gave the part # but I am unable to find it.  

Thanks  

Cdnlouie

Did you find a source for your starte seals?  The answer may be in this forum somewhere but have not stumbled upon it.

johnkadner

you guys haven't found the place that sells those seals?

Lucky

i'm in the hospital right now with pnumonia , so i haven't been here since fri, and won't be out for a few more days

go to my "replacement parts page" on my website, there is a place in RI with them, cheep, frendly and fast.

instructions for redoing the starter are on my site too, or contact Jason Morris: jsmthefix@msn.net  he rebuilds our starters.

is it leaking from INSIDE the starter, or from where the starter "plugs into" the case? therte is an o-ring there too...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black