News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

82 JUNKYARD DEATHTRAP is my iron horse...

Started by scootertramp, August 24, 2002, 02:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertramp

8)THIS is my brain: ??? ??? :-/ :-/.. THIS  is my brain when I am riding my vision: 8) 8) ;D ;D ahahahaha.. I am synkink my carbs according to LUCKYS page.. tanks lucky... although when I used a vac-gauge and got em' both suckin' the same (read)by adjusting the "rod; i test rode and it was somewhat better .. so i adjusted further and it is getting better yet seems to run thin at 45 and surges ahead  a bit when you let off the throttle at fifty-five... should i keep adjusting till it begins to get worse? it seems to be  better yet I feel as if it is still off a bit...
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Lucky

Hmm, Scoot, try to think of it this way: adjusting the sync rod is like balancing a scale, (think scale of justice, blindfolded lady, etc) except instead of balancing weight, you are balancing vaccume.  each platter is a carb and you want the carbs to balance.

when you turn the rod, you are opening or closing the throttle plates in each carb. on the back carb you can only close the throttle as far as the stop screw allows, this is why you have to adjust the stop screw as you go.  keep it at 1300 rpm

the whole point is to get the vacume readings as SIMILAR as possable.  this should take care of any differences in cylinder wear etc.  even if performance seems to improve what you'll end up doing is running one cylinder lean and running the risk of burning exhaust valves and overheating the engine.

once you get the sync set, go back and adjust the pilot screws for best idle, then turn them in each 1/8 turn or so.  this richens the mixture slightly, keeping the valves cool.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

scootertramp

are the screws supposed to have SPRINGS on them? one of mine FELL OUT thankfully on the motor.. I had to nurse it home.. so I put it back in and it tried to come back out .. does it have a spring to keep it tight? how do I know if I have the pilot adjustment correct? I will follow your directions already given.. and let you know.. this is an BY EAR PROCESS.. so to reiterate bring back BOTH carbs to the same reading? even if it roughens? then adjust the pilot screws to taste? I am leery to say the least..  I will let you know..
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a