Cold Starting Solutions?

Started by VK, August 09, 2002, 10:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

After making a half-hearted attempt to sell my '82 Vision (it had been garaged for 11 years), I decided to clean up the carbs and try to get the bike running.  Happily, my trusty (but recently neglected) steed now runs great- once started.  I had nearly forgotten how difficult it is to get this bike started, even with a spanking new battery.  I've read through old posts on cold starting techniques and have not had much success.  What are your thoughts regarding modifications to the bike to help with cold starting?  For instance - adding Dyna-coils (or equivalent), Denso plugs, low resistance plug wires, ...?  On a somewhat related note, I do not have an inline fuel filter installed.  Is there a particular one ROV members recommend?

Finally, I thought that I would note that I was a ROV member back when the organization first started in the mid 80's.  I was happy to learn the group still exists and am glad to return to the fold!

VK

Humber

Man, I have never had any problems with starting this bike, even after winter it started veryyyyyyyy smooothly.

Ok what I suggest before engine start (while cold) is to accelerate up to 4 times (YICS, pumps inject fuel into chambers) and then FULL choke and VROOOOOOOOOOOOM
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Chainging coils, wires etc may have some bearing on starting, how much i do not personally know, but others here have report changing these helps.

What I can tell you is that i've found two things that seem to make a big difference are carb adjustment (sync and pilot) and hose/YICS condition.

a properly tuned carb should start the bike easily everytime, and sync and pilot adjustment are critical to this.

check the condition of all the vaccume hoses and bes sure the YICS doesn't leak per the instructions on my site.
a vaccume leak will cause the bike to run lean, defeating the purpose of the choke.

keep us posted, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

VK

I removed the YICS unit and checked for leaks as instructed on Lucky's web site.  Low and behold, when I blow air into one port, it comes rushing out unobstructed from the other port.  There also appears to be an external leak as well - when I plug one port and blow into the other I can hear air escaping from somewhere.  Will submerge in water to pinpoint the external leak after I repair internal leak.  I don't have a band saw so must find someone who can give me a straight cut to open the unit up and install gaskets according to instructions.  Once I have the unit repaired, I'll report back on whether or not it solves my starting problems.  

Thanks for the advice!  VK

Lucky

I came up with that diagnostic procedure while working on my own YICS (pronounced "Yikes!) lol.

Anyway, it's the only one i have ever repaired, but Jason informs me both his YICS units, both 83's, came apart with a rap of a hammer, and that they both had a metal strip in the seam.  

This seemed unlikly for my 82 unit and there was no metal inside.  the plastic was actually kind of soft.  I wonder if this was by design to allow flexibility, which it needs to allow it to "pump", or if the softness was due to years of exposure to fuel...

Jason also mentioned that the screw placement was different.  interesting the minor differences you find between 82 and 83.  I bet there are a lot more differences on an 86 German XZ...
--Lucky

Humber

LUcky, from my observations all german (european) Visions should be treated as 82.

Only fairings and dual disc brake was added earlier then in US.

Nothing else changed. Even in 86 Vision had BD34 Mikuni Carbs, 82 front forks, 82 rear shock and so on and so on.

Changes were in electrical parts of the bike but it is obvious.

I have leak in YICS but it runs great, I wonder if I should change anything in that component.'

BYE
nie ma podpis?w

VK

An update on my YICS unit.  I ended up putting the unit in my Workmate folding vice table and cutting through it with a Japanese flush cut saw.  The blade is very thin and like the name suggests, it does a great job of making a smooth flat cut.  I sliced through the unit in a couple minutes, cut a gasket as suggested on Lucky's site, and used "Three Bond Liquid Gasket 1104" (the gasket sealer had been recommended in the past by a mechanic friend and had some on hand).  All sealed up air tight and the bike definitely is much more willing to start than before, though still a bit reluctant.  I filled her up with premium fuel (previously I had low octane regular in the tank).  Guess I will see tomorrow whether or not my starting worrys are behind me!  VK

Lucky

Ok, so if it is better, but still could stand improvement, then go after the synq and pilot adjustments

jasonm.

I have "whacked" open a few '82 YICS units also. The reason they leak is that the glue is giving up anyway. So a go whack with a hammer on the seam at a couple locations is all that is required. I used JB Weld to seal them. Works great.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules