Carb Needle Valves

Started by Humber, August 08, 2002, 04:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humber

OK guys, tomorrow I am gonna to visit my Yamaha service that is far away from my home.

Unfortunately I need to change my worn out needle valves and seats.

Last time folks from the shop told me that they can't find manufacturer that makes valves for vision. (only OEM but they are damn expensive)

But they asked me to come with the valves and they will see if they can find sth interchangabe from the other bike.

Ok, my question is , Has anyone ever used needle valves and seats from a diffferent bike??? If YES what bike wasi it????

I would greatly appreciate the help!!!
nie ma podpis?w

QQBS

Humber: You might be blessed and be able to fix your leaky needle valves by replacing the "O" rings that are associated with their assembly.  I recently thought that my needle valves were leaking and was prepared to bite the bullit and pay really big bucks for new OEM replacements.  However, my trusted local independent bike shop suggested that the "O" rings could be the problem.  I took them the carb tops and they replaced the rings for $24.00usd out the door.  No leaks since then.  I asked about what would cause them to fail.  Was told that with years the rubber gets hard and cracks  Cheers.

Lucky

Super true QBS, on all the carbs i've rebuilt they've been hard and dried out.  you can find them at auto shops and hardware stores for about 15 cents each.  you got hosed by the dealer... :(
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

The top of my needles are completely worned out and rusted, they are not tight enough to keep fuel from leaking.

Anyway I fifn't manage to go to the shop so I will inform u later about my results.
nie ma podpis?w

QQBS

Dear Luckey:  While the cost differential between the "O" rings and what the dealer charged me for the repair is huge when considered from a percentile perspective,... the value of the knowledge gained, the time that it took to make the repairs, and the peace of mind in knowing that if the float pedestals got broken in the repair process(a real possibility if I was doing the work, I've got the pieces of previous carb tops to prove it), it wouldn't be my responsibility, was worth it to me.

Also, the knowledge I purchased has now been passed on to all our V brothers so that they can better understand and maintain our loves.  Please remember that because I supported my knowlegeable local independent repair depot (don't underestimate their cost of just keeping the doors open), they will be there for me the next time I need help and or, advise and counsel.

Love ya Dude!  Cheers.

Lucky

Point taken, and... uhhh, it's not you, it's me, can we just be friends??.   :o

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black