News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

STRANGE NOISES - HELP

Started by Humber, July 13, 2002, 08:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humber

Hi to everybody, PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION.

About 300 km ago I started to experience strange noise coming from the engine.

When I rev the engine up the noise is more intentsive. It is "shshshshssssss" sound.

Today I was riding at ?high speed and when accelerating rapidly (full throttle) I heard some kind of screeching or squeling sound.

It can't be starter clutch cos I did this job about 4 months ago.

Is it possible that the screw on the idler gear loosened?????

(This oe near starter???)

HELP!!!!! What do u think about it???
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

You can buy something at most auto parts stores called a mechanics stethiscope, it will help you pinpoint the location of engine noises, (you'll be surprised to find out what valves opening & closing sound like)

once you have isolated where the noise comes from, remove the apropriate cover and check it out.

you can also use a long skinny screwdriver to help locate the noise, hold the handle to your ear and the tip to the engine.  not as effective, but it works.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

It won't help me, while the engine idles or when it is in neutral everything is OK. The problem is only while riding.

Is it possible that cam chain tensioner finished its life?????

Lucky, stethiscope in POLAND?????? Forget about it, but doctor's one can be obtained somehow.

nie ma podpis?w

Humber

Actually it sounds like worn out bearing or bearing without any lubracation.
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

can you hear the noise with the bike on the centerstand, in gear? if not, it might be a front wheel bearing...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

Lucky, To tell the truth my front wheel bearing is out of order. I am going to change it on Monday. (clacking sound etc etc).

I will tell u if it helped. But I think it is not the problem. Maybe sth in the final gear gears???
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

OK today it turned out that rear wheel bearings are worn out too. I have read the manual and I am little confused.

Is it necessary to heat the wheel HUB before removing old bearings?????

Can I use ordinary electric cook that I have in home????
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

LUcky, I managed to replace front wheel bearings and Swingarm ones. The rear part of the bikes is really stiff now.

And finally I managed to locate my NOISE.

It comes straight from the drive SHAFT. I think sth is broken there. (Last year it was as silent as the grave, now it produces sound of the worn out bearing) I was just about to disassemble it but the manual prevented me from further actions. It says that no maintaince should be done in home garage and drive shaft should be taken to the service.

My question is, what makes this noise (it is in the shaft for 100%)???????

Does anybody overhauled a shaft itself and what precautions ?should I take if I decide to do that????

What is the most probable thing to fail (bearings, bushings etcetc????)

Is it possible to safely overhaul it in my well equipped garage????
nie ma podpis?w