News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Installing new starter seal- HELP!!

Started by xsive11, July 14, 2002, 10:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xsive11

Please excuse my lack of terminology!  Ok, I've recieved the new starter seal and disassembled the starter.  I carefully removed the old seal, (on the bearing side?) but cant figure out which way the new seal should be inserted.  If inserted with the spring side down, it wont fitin the groove- too thick.  If I insert with the spring side up then it seems to me that the starter casing wont go back together. Does this seal even go back on the bearing side or does it fit over the long bar type thing that goes through the bearing side hole?  This thing is driving me crazy!  HELP!

Blake

install the seal from the back side (side facing the starter body.   the flat side of the seal faces the body.  the lip side faces the bearing.   you have to take out the shaft to do this.

its that simple.  just take a hammer and tap it in.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Dave T.

What is the size of the seal exactly? Is it a 20x35x6 double or 20x35x5 single lip seal? I had the same problem. I bought the 6mm wide double seal first, and it didn't fit very well. It seemed like it was binding and would lock up the starter. I pulled the spring out, this helped but it leaked (I drilled a 1/16" weep hole in the bottom of the end bell).

So I bought the OEM size seal, a 5mm wide one. I put it in with the spring and Wa-la, no binding and no leaking. Also, I am under the assumption that the numbered side of the seal goes toward the liquid side of the part (towards the bearing), and the spring side is the side that is sealed from the liquid (towards the gears and rotor). This is the way I put it in, but it may be backwards; because most seals have the numbers facing out, like your gearshift seal. Oh well, it still isn't leaking, even though I put it in backwards?  :P

This is my experience. Learn from it. ?;)
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)