News:

Main Menu

Interesting starter difference...

Started by Lucky, July 08, 2002, 09:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

or not, what do you think?

i just talked to a guy with a vision who couldn't locate the Starter seal...
he didn't know it was behind the gear plate
turns out that the nose was still in the engine
because the only thing holding the starter in, (and together)
is the 2 long bolts that run along the starter
i've never seen this. all the ones i've seen have the 2 10mm at the back bolting it to the case...
his doesn't have this.
i'm going to ask him for pics and to verify it is a Vision)
anyone else have a starter like this?
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

I would be a bit skeptical that either 1...this is a vision hes talking about (mayve a xt550-i've seen many adds for the vision and seen them uses xt550 instead of xz550.  XT is seca right? i've completely forgot.  not sure if its a Seca or virago)  but anyway, in a long shot...who ever had the bike before him put some different starter on and drilled and tapped a set of holes for the screws.  but thinking of that now..i'd highly doubt the last senerio because if i remember correctly, that metal where the starter connects to isnt all that thick(relatively speaking)  I mean, for me to feel safe for those two little screws to hold it there i's want at least good 1/2" of metal to anchor to.  And even then i still wouldnt feel safe because that starters pretty heavy, and when you hit a bump, whats stopping the rear part from flopping around.  doesnt really make sense to just have one side supported.  I dont know.  See if you can get some pictures of it. I'm very curious to see what he has.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Shwuz

Speaking of starter seals, I am about to order mine... from Bearings Specialty Co.

Now, do I want the single-lip, or double-lip?  What's the difference?

And what the hell should I do with the other four seals I'll have to order? ???
"No, really, I actually do need a little helmet for a chihuahua...  Hello?"

strainj

Maybe this guy is looking at thr case screw?? and thinks it is holding the motor to the bike, just a thought.

Blair