Minor hesitation

Started by Stormdancer, April 29, 2002, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormdancer

Took the bike out on my first long run in... well, a long time.  This was originally going to be a 'temporary bike' to get me through until my Norton's restoration is finally finished.  I quit riding an embarrasingly long time ago, and finally live in a more bike-friendly area.  Blah blah blah.

Anyway, went on a 140 mile run on Sunday, and the bike was a dream.  With one minor exception - there's a slight lag and hesitation when accelerating.  Is this normal for the bike?

I plan on pulling the sparkplugs to check their condition, this evening, to see if one cylinder is running richer or leaner, suspecting this could be the cause.  

Any good tips on tuning & matching the carbs by ear/hand?  I got pretty good at it on my Norton, and an MGB/GT w/ side-drafters... but these are obviously a far cry from that!

I gotta say... every time I take the Vision out for a ride, the less I want to sell it!   :P

Erm, and *TOTALLY* off the stated topic - anyone got a spare right-side passenger-bar?  I got a 'parts bike' along w/ the rider, and BOTH bikes are missing this piece.  Weird.

ricks_83

if you are familiar with the weber or dellorto carbs you could really help with the tuning on these carbs most everything these people on this site know is almost right out of a tuning book the carbs are almost a direct copy of the weber but dellorto`s are similar i also have some parts bikes what part of the country are you in and what year bike are you running the 83 carbs do not have the same problems and are more flexable or forgiving the 82s need to be translated to weber downdrafts i can help some with the ideas but you need to read up on the weber tech

Stormdancer

I'm in central New Mexico - the mountains just East of Albuquerque.  Altitude's about 7,600 feet at my house, and about 5,600 or so in Albuquerque.

This is a 1982, and on reading some of the other threads I think I need to take a closer look at the airbox - the flap definitely seems to be either wired or just plain stuck open.  That may be part of the problem.

The grab bar in question is not the rubberised ones that flank the brake light, but the metal ones that run paralell with the seat.

Lucky

there is no grab bar on the right side. the one on the left is there to help you get the bike on the center stand.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Hi, i have seen a V with a right side lift handle, Guzzi Johns has a modified one one the right too, its great for hooking bungie cords to. You are on the right track on you hesitation problem, (its the dreaded Vision stumble!)  get your flapper door working and then ,if its still not right there are some mods you can do, You need to sync. your carbs though. I think there are instructions on Luckys site on building a syncronizer on a budget.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Stormdancer

Huh!  So... if there's not a right-side grab bar, what went in the holes that exactly mirror the left-side grab bar lift handle?  I'll have to look at that more closely.  I saw the hole, and just presumed that since they matched the left-side attachments, they must be for a similar right-side bar.

Like you say, Rick - my quest in this was for a good bungee cord attachment point!

jasonm.

Yamaha offered hard saddlebags and mounts for the Vision, made by Krauser. But they were rarely sold. The mounts used the bolt holes and the left under seat grab rail was removed.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Stormdancer

Ahhh, I have understanding!  Thanks!

I think, in the interests of Bungee Joy, I'm going to have to rig something there.  Certainly something nicer than just a bolt.

Maybe I can find someone local to build me a mirror-image of the lifting-bar.  Or maybe I can use this as an excuse perfectly valid justification for a good torch...   :P

Rick G

Hi , Its not a complicated job to heat and bend a left side bar to fit the right (Johns had  tape on it to cover the scortch marks!) I'm going to do one my self.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jefferson

I ruined a couple of grab rails trying to heat and bend them. The third time I cut the front end off and then welded it back on using the left one to get things lined up right. A little grinding and paint and you can't tell it from the factory job. Sounds like you already have a spare available on that other bike.
Jeff