News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Damn...thought this would be easy..fuel problem?

Started by Dan_Byers, April 16, 2002, 06:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Byers

Let me begin by saying that I have been blessed with a relatively problem free carb set. For the last several years since my Vision was ressurected, it has idled perfectly w/out a stumble.Until now that is. Fact: Last fall my garage roof developed a leak, and let's just say that the bike spent the Ohio winter in a wet, damp garage. Also, I let it sit with barely half a tank and no sta-bil.
Here's the symptoms:
Bike fires right up but won't idle well. I filled the tank with fresh high test and wrung it out on a nice long highway cruise and ANYTHING above idle it seemed to run well. After being well warmed up the idle was BETTER, but still not stable and required some playing with the idle-adjustment wheel to keep from stalling. Again, ran fine above idle.
Today...after 96 miles on the fresh tank...I knew that w/in another 30-40 at most I would need to switch to reserve. Now the idle problem got worse. AND there was obvious what SEEMD like gas starvation at ABOVE idle speeds...surging and bucking at speeds even up to 45 mph when held at a steady throttle setting. As soon as any real gas was twisted it took off. Hold it steady, and it would surge and buck again. Take it down to near idle and you could slightly twist the throttle and keep it running about 1900 rpm, but when starting off in 1st it would nearly die unless goosed.
This really seems like a fuel supply issue. I have NOT:
-checked my inline fuel filter...one of the cone-shaped little clear plastic jobs. Will do this weekend.
-Drained my tank and pulled the petcock to look for clogged uptakes. By the way, it ran NO different when placed in the Prime or Reserve positions. Will do this weekend and add a can of berrymans.
Seeing as how it's now running like shit above idle, what do you ROV members think it most likely is?
I have always receved great info in the past...I expect nothing less now.

Lucky

Well we will trry to live up to your expectations then! :)
sounds like the pilot jet is clogged. Berrymans should help, it may take more than one can.  if it doesnt help at all, or only helps somewhat, then pull the pilot screws and try blasting it out with gumout . failing that you'll probably bave to pull the carbs and remove the pilot jets from beneath the carbs to clean 'em out.

you might try (CAREFULLY) pulling or shorting a plug wire while the bike is idling badly to see if the engine dies.  if it only stalls with one cyl, but not the other, then the one that made little differance should be the one to start with.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

johnkadner

i always hate it when this happens to my bike, especially going through town sputtering and popping, and all of a sudden it takes off on you!

i always think it's just something stuck in a passage in the carb, add another can of berrymans (this stuff does work good!)  and wait for the carb to clear.  and just keep cursing until it does clear.

also, i have learned to stay away from those rincky-dink gas stations, never know what's floating around in those tanks!

Rick G

Hi Dan, when I bought my V, it had problems , such as you describe , in idleing I doctord ti up with  a can of Justice Bros. Injector cleaner followed by a can (in the next tank of gas)  a can of Sea Foam. (this stuff works too , when I left Mn, I brought a six pack along) afte abous 18 months(  9000 miles)  the carbs started acting up again, so as we were leaving I went ahead and dipped a spare set and put them on ,it ran great , utill this spring, when I started to "crackle" any time i opened it up, if iIused just enough throttle to barely accelerate  it would slowly run up to 6000-6500 the start to "crackle" and loose power. I pulled the float bowl drain plugs  and flushed the float bowles, next I pulled out the main jets and blew them out with carb cleaner . I ran as new after this. you may have to dip them if all else fails. I always fill the tank after adding  lots of Sea Foam  and have been real happy with My V's availability
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Stormdancer

I just bought my Vision in December of last year, and only recently have really gotten to play with it.

The guy I bought it from had stored it overwinter w/ gas, no stabalizer... the fuel looked like orange juice!  YUCK!

Thorough cleaning, installed a filter, and it still ran pretty mediocre.  Wouldn't idle, at all, without the choke on - then only at about 2,400 RPM or so.  Ooof.

Long story short, pulled the idle screw out of the rear carb, blew it out clean, replaced.  Chemcleaned the tank, and coated it.

Runs like a gem now, though still obviously needs a little tweaking - lags a tiny bit from the throttle.  More road-time and some fine tuning should clean it up.

So... pull those jets, and blow 'em out with carb cleaner!  The rear one LOOKS like you should be able to get a screwdriver in it, but it's easier to just pull the carbs loose, and do it from there.

jasonm.

Here's a bit of advice to all. Don't store a Vision for long periods(more than 3 months) with gas in the carbs. They are easy to drain. Maybe I have been lucky so far. But every winter they are dry inside. No problems in the Spring.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

jasonm.

Also check the damn YICS and their hoses for leaks.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules