News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Found: Another exhaust alternative

Started by Lucky, March 23, 2002, 11:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

As much as I hate Pep Boys, I seem to be there more often than i wish, I noticed in the isle with all the engine "dress-up" & exhaust stuff somr 18" and 24" chrome exhaust extentions made by Superior of Calif. (800) 545-9882 for a list of local dealers  

They make a lot of the steering wheel covers, speedo cables, etc you see on those Nissan Maxima's and Supras with the bass too loud.  I swear I saw one with a top fuel dragster bilit aluminum wing bolted to the trunk today!! I asked the kid if that made his car go fast and he said "Um, no, but it looks cool"  I'd like to put any of those cars up against my '70 442 ragtop With some Iron Butterfly playing on the old Sparkomatic and see how they do...I might not win, but if I happened to push them into a guard rail by mistake guess who'd have more dammage?  Sorry, where was I?

Oh yea, the exaust.  anyway the pipes are straight, good weight chromed steel, 3 1/4" inside diameter with slash-cut ends and a taper to 2 1/4 at the front end. I brought the collector box Rick G sent me that has the pipes cut off at the welds with me, and with a little trimming, the pipes will slide right in to be welded in place.

Somewhere on my site there is a picture or drawing of Baffles Glen and I designed for his Mac pipes. using a reverse flow design.  we reused some of the mac parts, but with 3 1/4" inside the pipes, there is a lot of room for experimentation.  I'm thinking a tripple reverse baffle might bring the sound & volume, as well as back pressure colse to stock.  also, I'm not sure, but I think SuperTrap ends might fit inside as well.

I found one crappy picture of the pipes online that I will post on my site as well as the part # info, etc.

Whaddaya Think?
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

I have posted a page on my site with more of an idea of what i'm talking about.  the baffle design is similar to what QBS has described seeing in the cut-away poster he has of the V.
--Lucky

http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142/exaust.html

Lucky

i'mI'm agressivly persuing this replacement pipe option after hearing from MIVV in Itialy this week that their replacement muffler is not ava in the US.

I am going with the simpler "resonator" style baffle.  the 2 problems I'm having are:

1) Stainless steel steel wool is impossable to find around here in any quantity greater than those pot scrubber size they sell in the grocery store, although that might work...  so if anyone knows where to get like a roll or sheet of the stuff, let me know.

2) for the end caps with a flange on them I havent been able to find anything 'off the shelf" that suits my needs.  if you are familiar with the Mac baffle endcaps you will know what i am describing.  the inside diameter of the muffler that they have to fit in is about 3 1/4".  I was thinking I could cut the round baffle out of a sheet of steel with a tab or 2 projecting out that could be bent over to form the mounting tab (that the retaining bolt fastens to)  the problem here is i don't know if this would seal well enough.  on the inner plate this is not critical, but on the outer plate it is. any suggestions?

i figure the whole system will cost about $100 total for both mufflers. I'm shooting for a product that is very easy to build and uses off the shelf parts, so lets get going folks, help me out...  :)

--Lucky