WANTED: 83' Carb float

Started by Glen_H, March 23, 2002, 06:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen_H

While cleaning the carb out today, one of my friends was looking at the float and thought it was incorrectly adjusted and tried to bend it and busted it off.  Now I am in desperate need of a new one and checked bikebandit.com and they list it as discontinued.  PLEASE HELP!

Rick G

Can any one tell me if the 82 and 83 floats are the same ? i have a spaer 82 float. Rick G
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Nope, not even close to being similar...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Glen_H

Has anyone had this happen before?  Do you think it would be possible for me to JB weld it together?  Or should I look for something comparable or fabricate something myself?  Does anyone know of a good salvage yard listing where I could start calling?  It is going to be spring soon and I have to get the V rolling.  Any input is greatly appreciated!

Lucky

I'm looking at an '83 float right now because i'm making new gasketts for Glen, and i'm guessing that it broke off at or near the metal hinge.  I say, try the jb weld, you have nothing to loose. i'm not sure if jb weld is fuel proof, but there are 2 part epoxies out there that are.  I have some stuff that they sell at a local store called car quest. it is a putty that comes in a plastic tube  with one part wraped around the other, you pinch off what you need and roll it around in your fingers till it gets hot, then apply quickly, it sets in about 5 minuets and then can be drilled, sanded, painted, tapped, etc.  I have it on my gastank pinholes right now.  if you need, i can send you a tube, ($5)

the only other consideration would be weight of the float, you may have to readjust float level to compensate.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black