News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Starter clutch bolts ....

Started by 1LostVrider, January 31, 2002, 01:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1LostVrider

Hey guys, i have the starter clutch bolt problem, i am pretty sure that is whats cuasing the knocking sound coming out of my engine since it goes away after i reach 2500rpm. I dont have enough time to do it myself, or do i have the right tools. I live in the san francisco area does anyone who has had this problem and lives by me know any mechanic that knows how to take care of this problem without charging me a leg ? ???

Thanx

Erik

jasonm.

You only need a steering wheel(flywheel) puller from Sears($20) and some stout wrenches to do it yourself. The puller requires either a spacer to fit where the center bolt was. Or grinding the pusher down. The grinding is the safe way.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

mac_p300

If your flywheel has never been off before it can be a little reluctant to come off! Perseverance is the name of the game here!

malcolm

bmeyer6472

Whether you do  it yourself or have it done, make sure you check the balancer shaft nuts as well as the starter clutch bolts. I neglected to do this and ended up having to do the job twice. :P

Superfly

Think about doing it yourself.  The way I look at it is I can pay someone to do it, and it will be an arm and a leg, or put that money into the tools to do it. 
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

If he hasn't figured it out in over three years, I'd be surprised!  Note date on original post.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Superfly

H20, you make a good point!!  ;D
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Mutt

Yea, it's the sign of a good lawyer. Always reading the fine print!
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

Words of Wisdom:

The large print giveth - the small print taketh away. ;D

H2O

(Thanks, Mutt!)
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.