News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Best Insurance Company and Rate?

Started by dtknox, April 16, 2005, 07:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtknox

I have all of my insurance with Allstate and they just sent the renewal billing for insurance on the Vision. They increased the rate to $416.80 a year!

Any suggestion for other insurance provides and how mush is are you paying for your insurance?

Thanks

Dale

I have all of my insurance with Allstate and they just sent the renewal billing for insurance on the Vision. They increased the rate to $416.80 a year!

Any suggestion for other insurance provides and how mush is are you paying for your insurance?

Thanks

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

EH

I use Bikeline Insurance. For liability and uninsured motorist only it is $78.00 per year. I have a good driving record and no claims.

SonyUser2

I use Progressive you can even get a quote online.
They're pretty cheap.

I think mine's about 115/yr
I started my policy at 23 yrs old, and I've had 2 minor accidents a few years earlier.

they were about 1/2 the price of everyone else.

-Chris

Sable

I use progressive as well.... $129.00 per year... can't beat it with a stick ;D

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

pat sullivan

I've used Progressive since I've had the Vision (bought it new).  My last bill just went up to $75.00.  I think maybe they charge a little more when you get to 70.   ;)

Pat Sullivan

Ron_McCoy

I have insurance with Foremost through an independent agent. $52 per year for PL, PD< and uninsured  motorist.

h2olawyer

Dale -

I've been with State Farm on all my vehicles since I started driving in the mid 70s.  They will insure motorcycles but only if you have other vehicles insured with them at the same time.  I pay about $85/yr. for the V.  Last insurance claim of any kind (except windshield replacement) was over 20 years ago, & never one on the V.

I can find cheaper rates, but the savings are not that great.  A few $/yr. at most.  State Farm has always treated me well.  Find a company & agent you like and that is bike friendly.  Progressive seems to have about the best rates in most situations - but not all, and they have a good reputation.

Insurance rates vary widely around the country and even within the same state.  I know it is about 1/3 higher to insure the same vehicle in parts of Denver than it is here in Ft. Collins, using the same company.

You will need to shop around in your area to find the best coverage for you.  Finding a company with a good claims service reputation is as important as the lowest rates.  That $5 or $10 you saved in annual premiums may not look so great when you have to battle to get them to pay.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

i run Geico on all my vehicles, same policy since 1978.
 my bike "rider" policy runs 100.00 per year for three motorcycles, with 50.00 deductable> windscreens are one per year per bike due to road damage only(no tree branches or kids with baseballs )
     i think they run about 125.00 per year per bike for new policy holders, but the more the bike costs new, the more the policy is going to run > not the cheapest, but definately the easiest to get a paid claim from. one call,, bike is fixed .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

MotorPlow

I also use www.bike-line.com and my policy just went up from $72.00 to $78.00 a year.  I am happy with them, never had a claim, but they answer emails very quickly, even to switch insurance from one bike to another.

EH

Bikeline just sent my renewal, it went from $78 per year to $218. they lost me! I will be looking elsewhere.

Extent

How the hell do you guys with Progressive get those rates?  I've got a progressive policy w/ a completely clean record liability and uninsured only and I'm paying 690 a year! ??? ???
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

MotorPlow

Quote from: EH on May 22, 2005, 07:29:43 PM
Bikeline just sent my renewal, it went from $78 per year to $218. they lost me! I will be looking elsewhere.

EH,
Did they give any reason for the drastic increase?  Did you get any tickets or anything?  I will be watching for my renewal and will post when I get it, it had better not be like that.

EH

no specific reason. no tickets, no claims. the only thing i noticed is the uninsured motorist coverage went through the roof. i own property so i can be sued and possibly lose that property so i need uninsured motorist coverage.
some useless lump can drive around without insurance and only face a fine they will never have to pay if they get caught. so essentially i am paying their insurance premium. America is upside down and backwards and it is getting worse every day.

fiddlesticks

If your insurance just went up to 416 your still in better shape than us here in canada. At the exchange rate Im using which was the rate last week Thats like 540 Canadian. That is still better than what Im paying. I just changed companies though because primum was hosing me. I was paying over1200 bucks last year. I am now with easyway and am only paying around 700.
Fidd
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

gbranche

Quote from: EH on May 24, 2005, 04:47:53 PMi own property so i can be sued and possibly lose that property so i need uninsured motorist coverage.

One of us misunderstands what "uninsured motorist" coverage actually covers - it may be me.

As I understand it, UIM coverage will pay YOUR losses if you have an incident in which the other party is at fault, and that other party does not have liability insurance. You make a claim against YOUR insurance company as if they were also insuring the uninsured motorist.

This is my understanding, after reading my policy, as it applies in CA. Different states (and provinces, and countries) have different insurance rules, so UIM in your locale may work as you have described.

Greg

Lucky

Quote from: gbranche on May 25, 2005, 03:46:47 PM
As I understand it, UIM coverage will pay YOUR losses if you have an incident in which the other party is at fault, and that other party does not have liability insurance. You make a claim against YOUR insurance company as if they were also insuring the uninsured motorist.

yup, then they either raise your rates or cancel you! wonderful world we live in huh? :-\
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

admin

well it could be worse, you could live in taxachussetts ( like moi )
and find that virtually all of those companies will not insure mass.
drivers, they've pulled out of this state because of the regulations.
no allstate, no geico, no progressive, no state farm etc. the list goes on.
legislators in this state have totally f*cked it all up.
and to make matters worse, because I live within 2 miles of the ocean
many insurance companies are refusing to insure my house.

we just got a non-renewal from another company that is pulling out
of this state.  which does nothing but piss me off because I'm just over a mile
away and It would literally take a tidal wave to even get near my house.

I'm just about ready to move to the warmer climate anyway,
I can't decide between florida or the yucatan peninsula in mexico....
although, northern Cal captures my imagination but I bet there is way
too many people/traffic/cars to deal with.

-Ron

MotorPlow

Damn,
I guess we have had too many ROV Fund Raisers.  It sounds like Ron is getting ready to retire....

Florida? Beach Resort Town in Mexico?  Humph.

EH

you're right gbranche. I had to vent.

dchakrab

Interesting reading...I'm going to need insurance soon, assuming I can get the bike running and titled sometime in the near future.

A place called Green Light in Chicago was recommended for bike insurance as cheap (around $100)...I was also thinking about Progressive. I don't have a license, and I'm 24, so it'll be pretty much the highest insurance risk, but the low cost of the bike and its age should hopefully get me a cheap policy.

-Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.