Pirelli tires-pro's/con's

Started by hfarley, March 21, 2005, 04:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

I just got my hands on some Pirelli tires that are brand new and wanted to know what people thought of them.
They are Strada MT68E tubeless and 69E tubeless tires. Any pros/cons? Just trying to figure out what I got. Thanks!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

kiawrench

Heather-
 ? ?I have used pirelli tires on everything from my vision to a 1968 cougar ,modified for super street racing ,, and have loved every minute of them.

? I find they ride well,are well mannered at highway speed,easy to balance,and last a good long time. If you noticed, the real problem with pirelli is the price, a lot of people just wont go the extra cash for them. oh, first mile or two per ride is a bit funny at times,, when really cold, tires are sort of hard, but they ease up a lot as they heat up,, then they are really sticky, hold high speed turns like they are on a rail -- this is something you may not even notice, as i ride year round, unless snow/ice is down, then i ride as soon as i can see the pavement . (now that i live on the beach,, that wont be a problem anymore either !)

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

Just watch the sand Kia,, nuttin sticks to that!
We've got lots on the ground here just from the plows dropping it on the snow.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hfarley

Kia: that is good to know thanks! Since I am so new at driving a bike I probably won't notice the difference when I switch over but it is good to know that I got a decent tire. The prices that I found for this tire online didn't seem that bad, right around what I would expect to pay for a tire. But then again I haven't purchased tires before for a bike. Thanks again!
-Heather

kiawrench

uh,, i sort of cheat,,,,, i get pirelli tires from a friend in military,  so i never pay much for them,,,, he gets that sweet aafes price -- 30-40 percent below posted "wholesaler's" prices . funny how that happens , military exchanges can sell stuff below listed wholesale, even on cars!!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

hfarley

God I miss the days when I could shop at AAFES. That ARNG card was good for something at least. LOL! Man we used to stock up on stuff. Hmmm that gives me an idea for when my old unit gets back from Iraq. Could give some of those guys a call.... LOL!
-Heather ;)

jasonm.

Heather, those MT68/69 tires you have are good tires. Not the super sticky stuff. In the future>One step up is the MT09 and MT08. Which are used on many Italian bikes(Moto Guzzi) as OEM now and for many years. I have an MT09 on the front of my '83. Feels just like the Metz ME33 I took off. In fact Pierelli owns Metzeler or is it the other way around? You get the idea. Just another bit of INFO. Read the sidewall. To see if the tire has 3 or 4 ply sidewalls. I found the 4 ply tires handle a little sharper. My Avons and the MT09 are 4 ply sidewall design.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules