rear tire and ideal wheel tire combo

Started by rip_brotz420, September 12, 2003, 04:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rip_brotz420

maybe the 83 speedo is inaccurate

Rick G

The 82 sure are , although they read slow , and it gets worse the faster you go.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ProfessorRex

I came across this topic while looking for the vision's stock wheel width front and rear.  As far as needed horsepower goes, perhaps yall remember the vincent black lighting, certainly no more aerodynamic than our V's and it made roughly 75-80hp on race gas.  Our top speed is limited by gearing.  I can (I've never done this mom... I swear!) hit redling in 5th gear, that's about 113mph.  With a taller gear, a higher speed could easily be achieved.  Anyone have a euro gear set, and want to loose your life liscence?

Or does anyone have one they want to sell? I've got a long distance butt-burner coming in a few months, I wouldnt mind the higher cruise speed/ lower rpms

Here's the famous picture of the Vincent with Rollie Free riding in no leathers for "aerodynamics"!
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/101502rolliefreesmall.jpg
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

glennw

Rex,
Isn't that a photo of you trying to get to Sonora  ???

Without a faring, you'll be happy to crawl off that V after a full day at about 80 mph with your "bobble head" still attached!  ;D

GlennW

Half Mad Max

ProfessorRex

HAHAHAHA I find that a nice speedo is the best high speed long distance touring gear, Aerostich be damned! ;)

H20 got himself a full fairing, so he's selling me his shark fairing and crash bars THANK GOD.  I'm going to get some highway time, and some long distance rides under my belt before setting out on my "adventure".  I might fab some extra wind protection out of lexan, maybe some lowers of some sort, and hand guards... not sure, I've got access to a whole load of fabricating equipment so I can do a lot.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

dtknox

rip_brotz420,

Does the 650 turbo's rear wheel center correctly?  If I remember correctly, that rim is 2.5" wide (the Vision's is 2.15") . Most tire manufactures recommend a minimum of 2.5" for 120 tires.  

If the Turbo's rim lines up correctly I would recommend a 120/80 rear with a 100/90 front. You may want to lower the forks by 1/4 to 1/2" (1/4 to 1/2" above, instead of flush) to level the bike, if you have an 82 Vision.

Ride Safe,

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

jasonm.

First :The rear rim size is cast or stamped on all rims back in the 80's...somewhere. The Vision is a 2.15 width...cast. With a Metz ME55 120/90 is on my '83 with euro gears. A 130 is not a good thing on a Vision. My difference in top speed is slight due to the modest horsepower an wind drag(I have added a small wind deflector). NOW at 113mph the tach sees ~9300 instead of 10000rpm. Both the tire being a 120/90(120/80 is actually shorter than a 110/90) and the euro gears just affect how long it takes to get to 113mph. If I give it more room without the deflector on, 115+ is likely. It is basically geared for 120+ now. I also have a truly calibrated digital speedo that is VERY accurate. Officer "Friendly" has confimed this.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

dtknox

Jason,

I know that many of the Vision owner run 120?s on the rear but many of the manufacture recommends 2.75? and all the listings that I have been able to find show 2.5? rim for 120 tires.

If the Turbo?s rear wheel will line up correctly, it would be a nice upgrade for the brake and a rim that meets the minimum recommended width for a 120.

As for adjusting the forks to level the bike, the problem is that the 100/90 front is taller then the OEM 90/90 and as you pointed out the 120/80 rear is slightly shorter then the 110/90. Adjusting the forks is one way of leveling the bike.

The other way to adjust for a 100/90 for is to mount a 120/90 on the rear. That will also level the 82 Vision.

Ride Safe

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

jasonm.

The '82 and '83 use the same rims but the '83 come stock with a 100/90 in front. So the 100 in front is not an issue. Unless you have a 90/90 in front. Which is a minority.
 I agree a 120/90 in the rear is bigger than recommended. But you are only talking about 9mm higher when putting it on the side stand. As far as handling. I have a 110/90 on my '82 and the 120/90 on the '83. Yes the '82 steers slightly quicker. But they also have 2 different brands of tire. Others have not found issues with the 120/90 in back. Just don't run too much psi. Bottom line a 130 will not be the way to go...too wide. You gain next to nothing with a 120/80 which is shorter sidewall and less diameter than the stock 110/90. If you have a 90/90 in front? go to a 100/90. Then all will be beautiful with a 120/90 in back. I have not checked the Turbo rear wheel size. But a guy I saw with one had only a 120/90 on the back. I have an old cycle world with the Turbo specs. I'll check.UPDATE: Cycle world specs don't show wheel size on a Turbo. But the tire is a 120/90. So the rim is likely a 2.5"  The Vision won't take a 130 without chancing the tire hitting something. So no matter what. A 120/90 on back is as big as one should get.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules