anyone online right now?

Started by hfarley, March 14, 2005, 04:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

I can't figure out how to get the spark plug caps off and I don't want to break anything. The manuals that I have are not very descriptive at all.
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Lucky

off the plugs? pull straight up. off the wires pull the rubber boot off, then pull the wire out.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

caps off the plugs or off the wires?  To get them off the plugs just pull on them, they'll pop off.  To take the caps off of the wires just unscrew them, twist them around and it'll come off the wire eventually.

--edit--
*doh*! Lucky's quick :P
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

hfarley

ok I have everything still connected on the bike as if I was riding it. There is that rubber boot over everything. My assumption then is that I pull up on that and it pops off?

hfarley

Then there are wires attached to it and that is what can be twisted off?
I want to replace the spark plugs so I pull the rubber thing off the top, unscrew the plugs and put the new ones in after I make sure that they are gapped then pop the rubber cap back on? Is this correct?

Lucky

yup, if it's stuck twist, wiggle & pull. WD-40 will loosen things up too

hfarley

I won't damage the plugs or the wires leading to the plugs by pulling on it correct? I am just checking. LOL!

h2olawyer

Heather -

Don't forget the anti-sieze on the new spark plug threads when you install them.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

hfarley

what is anti-seize? Remember I am a newbie and a blonde. So I have both things working against me. LOL!  :P ;D

Lucky

** Very Good Tip**
when installing your new plugs, put a 4 inch piece of scrap fuel line over the white porcilin part of the plug (that the wire goes to) screw the plug in using the piece of hose.  this will prevent you crossthreading the plug.  you cannot cross thread the plug if you use hose. once the plug is threaded, tighten with a wrench as usual.
have fun reaching them, their a pisser to get to...

hfarley

By the way, (Roll eyes here) I know where one is, Where is the other one? LOL! :-[

h2olawyer

Anti-sieze is a lubricant that prevents threads from sticking.  It is available from any auto parts store.  It is a good idea to use it on almost every nut & bolt on most motorcycles.  Often, the bolt & the piece being held in by the bolt are dissimilar metals.  When this happens, a process called electrolysis occurs, often making the bolt - or in this case spark plug - difficult or impossible to remove.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

hfarley

That is good to know. Thanks H2O and thanks Lucky for that fuel line tip!

hfarley

Well I am off to try to change at least one of the spark plugs or at least get it out tonight. By the time I am done doing stuff to my bike I will have it in parts all over the garage. LOL! My husband thinks I am weird. LOL! I keep trying to tell him I have just become obsessed with my Mamba that's all. LOL! ::)

Thanks for the help guys and I will let you know how I make out!
-Heather

h2olawyer

QuoteBy the way, (Roll eyes here) I know where one is, Where is the other one? LOL!  

If you mean the spark plugs, the rear cylinder plug is accessed from the right side of the bike and the front plug from the left.  In each case, they are on top of the cylinder head.  ;D

Didn't mean to butt in but wanted to make sure you didn't end up with stuck plugs next time.

H2O

louthepou

And yes, sometimes, fingers can be too big for the space available. I usually change the plugs with the gas tank air box removed, and a few other parts loose. Tired of bleeding knuckles.

Gas line tip: very good indeed. Other tip: if you have a compressor, blow air where the plugs are before removing them; prevents bits and pieces from falling in the combustion chamber when plug is removed.

Cheers,

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

h2olawyer

Speaking of blowing air . . . (insert lawyer joke here) . . . there are small holes below the spark plugs on the side of the heads that are just for that purpose.  Before loosening the plugs, put your air gun nozzle against the hole & give a quick blast.  Wear eye protection & don't look in the direction of the cylinder when you do this.  I usually turn my compresor down to about 50 PSI before I do this.

Also, the best spark plug wrench I've found for the job is the cheapo one that came in the original tool kit.  That with the box end wrench also included in the same kit are amazing for getting at the plugs - especially the front one!

H2O

H2O

Wayne

Heather-Another neatie is to spray electrical contact cleaner into the recessed area around the spark plug, and if you do not have a compressor, use a can of compressed air that is easy available at Wal-Mart or else where that is used to blow dust out of computers. Wear glasses of some sort. The contact cleaner followed by air blast will clean everything in the recessed area of the spark plug, plus the little drain holes. LOL Wayne

hfarley

That is the wrench that I used, the one that came with the tool kit. It was really easy to change. I am actually suprised at how easy that was. I don't want to sound sexist here but I think women are better equipped to change those spark plugs. We have smaller hands. I can imagine how hard it must be especially for a guy with large hands to fit them in that crevice and twist the plug out. OK wait a minute, that just doesn't sound right.  :P LOL!

I am learning that some things really are easy to do myself on the bike. A lot easier than I originally thought. I still get a little intimidated by all the wires and plugs and stuff but each little thing that I do teaches me not to be so leary of the bike.

This forum is great and you guys/gals are great too! Thank you soo much for giving me tips and tricks about this bike. And for being so friendly and outgoing and not treating me like an idiot when I don't know what something is called or how to take it apart or hook it up.

THIS FORUM ROCKS!!
-Heather ;D

h2olawyer

Heather -

I agree about women & even some men being "better equipped" to work on bikes and many other mechanical things by virtue of their smaller hands.  A friend had a 1967 Shelby GT-500 Mustang.  Changing the rear spark plug on the driver's side was a real pain.  My girlfriend at the time could get her hand in there & get the plug started & tightened down so the final wrench work wasn't too bad.  Even with the socket & ratchet, it took 2 u-joints & three extensions to reach it!  

Bet you didn't think so much could go into changing spark plugs - seems like such a simple task.  While it is a bit more involved on a bike, it is really no different than changing the plugs in a car.  In our case, theres fewer which is a good thing.

Glad you are taking the initiative & learning how to work on your bike.  For most things, especially with all the help here and a good manual, there's very little that you can goof up beyond repair.  There is a lot of wiring & electrical plugs but when you look at just the system you want to work on, everything gets much simpler.

We're all happy to help!

H2O