Now what???!!!

Started by redxz550inoz, March 15, 2005, 02:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redxz550inoz

having checked and replaced plugs,caps and leads - what I thought was the problem - I'm still having problems getting the old girl started.
replacing what I did has improved the spark but she still wouldn't fire.
Started to push her round the front to try and jump start, got about 3 feet and thought - just one last go - vrooom, fires up straight away.
Okay, so I ride her out to the front yard, let her warm up then shut her down. Try to fire her again - it's a little difficult but doesn't take long and vroom, she's up and running again. Go up and down the street, park in the front yard and shut her down again. Go inside have a coffee. Come back out and try to fire her. She's decided she's not gonna play the game, I gently rock her back and forth and again vrooom, she's away!
Once running she's off like a rocket. Just getting started is a problem.

I've checked the charging system, plugs, leads, caps, coils, pickup, tdi,yics ...um... sidestand relay even.

Have I missed the obvious?? Or has she just developed a need for me to show her I care?
Help please (I'll probably kick myself when I eventually find the problem ...LOL)

Thanks  ;D

Lucky

have you checked for water in the fuel?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

redxz550inoz

yup. drained tank, squirted carbs as best I could without removing them and put fresh fuel in. Checked the fuel that came out, no sign of water.

MotorPlow

Red,
'82 or '83?  Have you been able to check the fuel pump?

Chrisf

Lucky

I think you need to go back to the basics..check the carb synq & pilot settings (I normally 'tune' those twice a season)

Also, you might want to check the charging system. See what the charge is cranking (should be at least 9.8V or more (really, at least 10v)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

redxz550inoz

Thanks guys

Motorplow - mine's an '82. Haven't checked the fuel pump yet (that thought occurred to me about an hour ago and it's too dark to do much now)

Lucky - ok, I'll give that a go

durn thing - once going she just purrs. I WILL get to the bottom of this  LOL

hfarley

Ok I am probably way out of my league here but since you seemed to have checked everything else or are going to, could you possibly just have a bad battery? I know on mine part of the problem was the battery in the beginning. It just wasn't holding the charge and from what I am told, these bikes like a fully juiced battery to start. Again sorry if I am way out of my league with this one, just trying to help!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

hfarley

Also we noticed on mine that the connectors to the battery just needed a little bit of cleaning. Again don't think this is it  but thought it wouldn't hurt to mention.
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

redxz550inoz

Thanks Heather
Battery still good (would wanna be, not more than 6 months old!! - gel battery), but checked to be sure all the same. Ya just never know - sometimes it's the simplest thing  ;D

ps2/bikevision

hey my buddy has a honda 500cc dirt bike. he had the engine rebuilt a couple years ago. the guy that did the engine told him the only way to start it is to lay it down to let fuel in the carbs and then put it in gear and rock it a couple times then kick it. if it doesent start rock it some more. my buddy does this and it fires without much effort. if you dont it wont start and you will wear your self out. the mech said that the reason was cause you have to prime the cylinder and cause the compresion is so high after having the engine rebuilt. but once the engine warms up if you shut it off and then fire it back up it will fire with one kick. it might be you just arent primeing the carb enough. did you try turning it to prime and trying that.