News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

What I did to the Bike Today

Started by MotorPlow, March 11, 2005, 01:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Just thought I would post what I did to the bike toady....

1) Changed the Final Drive Oil.  Old oil looked like mud.  New oil looks like cherry cough syrup.

2) Changed the Motor Oil.  Old oil wasn't that old, but changed it to Castrol's 20W50 Synthetic Blend.

3) Added a FAZE Electric Oil Pressure Guage.  I had to fabricate a mount for the sending unit.  The sending unit now sits between the exhaust pipes, just forward of the Oil Drain Plug.

4) Changed the Fuel Filter.

5) Cleaned and re-oiled the UNI Air Filter.  I think the UNI Air Filter sucks.  The thing is cheaply made and doesn't fit quite right and is now falling apart with just one cleaning.  Anyone know where I can get a good old paper filter?  I've seen the modifications...  I just want a stock paper filter on my bike, any suggestions?

6) Added some tire balancing beads to the front tire in an attempt to stop that trailing axle front end wobble.  Haven't riden the bike yet with it in, I will post results when I get a change to ride.

7) Changed the Oil Filter (goes without saying with the oil change).  Anyone else have a problem with the Fram Oil Filter not fiting on their V.  The center post is just a hair too long and the filter cover gaskets that come with it are the wrong sizes.  Luckily, I usually order PM supplies knowing I still have some on the shelf in the shop.  So, I was able to use a K&N oil filter I had on the shelf.

Now I just have to put the fairing back on and take the V for a test run to make sure everything works (and doesn't leak).

The coolant looks pretty good and shows good Cold/Hot protection, so for now I am leaving that alone.

Enjoy, Summer Is on it's way, eventually.

Chris F.

Extent

I just got a new filter thru the dealer, I don't remember if they had to order it but I imagine they did.  Mine had a Uni filter on it too when I bought it, and the lower foam seal thing was already half fallen off.  I wanted to return to as close as stock as possible so I could have a baseline of performance anyway, so I just tossed that thing and put the paper one back on.  One of the Cycle Gears in the area just happens to have an XZ Uni filter if I want to put a new one on later, I'm sure it's not going anywhere ;D

I think I read somewhere (probably here) that the Fram filters were too long and they crushed when you put the cover back on.  I refuse to use Fram in any of my vehicles anyway, so I used a K&N instead I think.  It might have been a different brand, it was something available at Auto Zone, but it didn't crush like the one I pulled out.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

MotorPlow

Cool, thanx.
For some reason I didn't think the air filters were available at the dealer any more...  Humph, I must have been mistaken.  I was wrong once before you know.

Oh yeah, I will be syncing the carbs in the next day or so.  Thanx to the handy dandy carb sync gadget Rick G. made me when he rebuilt by carbs for me a year or so ago.

Chris F.

ProfessorRex

Darn Chris way to upstage me!  I changed my oil and gear oil today and thought I was a bigshot!  I did however use BelRay EXS full synthetic, waaay pricy $12 a quart! But wow, I took a short ride and the bike is AMAZINGLY DIFFERENT, revs faster, smoother, starts much easier.  The difference in shift quality blows my mind.  I thought my trans was starting to crap out on me, it's not! It's in great shape, it only needed some good fresh oil. I think it accelerates faster too, I noticed at full throtle the revs climbed faster in a given gear.

The stuff the came out looked BAD I'm not sure how long it'd been since it was last changed, and damn the gear oil was sludge!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

redxz550inoz

;D
and here I was thinking I was clever changing my fork seals the other day

Sable

In case anyone is till interested, here is the link for replacing the air filter with an STP SA3903 or the Fram 3903.. I have had the Fram on mine for over a year now and it seems to work very well, and yes it does crush down a little bit, but not enough to change the performance of it. For about $10.00 (having to buy the silicone too), it works for me ;D

http://robmay.com/airfilter.htm

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

louthepou

Thanks Sable, I've been wondering where I put that URL back a long time ago. That has to be one of the most brilliant, money saving tricks in the world.

At my local Yamaha shop, an pre-flapper door filter retails for 35$ (can), and the post flapper door one, some 42$! Right, no way I'm paying that much.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

h2olawyer

Must be the day to work on Visions!  So far today, I have built a new oak dashboard, installed a voltmeter & manual radiator switch, changed the oil & filter, changed the plugs, installed new mirrors & replaced the little rubber strap in the rear tool box.

Happy wrenching, (w)riding or waiting for that warm weather!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

gbranche

QuoteHumph, I must have been mistaken. ?I was wrong once before you know.
I've said this to my kids, and I'll share it with y'all:

I'm always right! I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

:-)

Greg

Superfly

You know what I did to my Vision today?

I rode it.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Walt_M.

If I weren't working today, I would have ridden mine too! Beautiful day here, 70s, a little breezy. I'll bet they are enjoying this at Daytona.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MotorPlow

Anyone know what the Yamaha part number is for an Air Filter for a '82 with the modified air box?

I gave the dealer 28V-14450-00-00 which I got from the //www.yamaha-motor.com website.  The dealer told me that was the wrong part number and the air filter for an '82 would need to be ordered at a cost of $25.

This doesn't sound right.  Can anyone confirm or give the right part number?

Thanx,
Chris F.

h2olawyer

The Yamaha part # for the unmodified airbox type air filter element is: ?11H-14453-00-00 . ? The part # for the modified style is: ?28V-14460-00-00 . ?This is cut & paste from the Yamaha factory website parts caatalog. ?Looks like you missed one number. ?The price sounds about correct. ?A Yamaha dealer in Downer's Grove, Ill. ?has them for $21.28. ?http://www.dgy.com/ ?With shipping, it probably equals out.

I just received a set of new 83 fairing style mirrors from them - $15 less each than my local Yamaha dealer was willing to sell them to me for. ?Even with the $9.00 (approx) shipping, I still ordered them from DGY instead of buying them locally. ?Took about a week for them to get to me after I ordered.

H2O

Here's a photo of the new oak dash with the voltmeter & fan switch installed & working.

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

MotorPlow

I think I just found a new parts supplier!  DGYs prices are great, better that Bike Bandit and they have most of all the small little things like the Speedo Cable Holder off the Front Fender and the Elastic Tool Kit Holder for the Toolbox and the Reflector on the side of the Fairing. -- All of which I ordered.  Asside from the Air Filter, I spent another $30.00 in $1, $2 & $3 pieces parts.

Thanx Again,
Chris F.

jasonm.

I don't recommend the modified filter set up on that link. The element is being crushed and allowing it to fail sooner than later. If there is a way of securing the filter without the lid pressing on it then it's a good set up. Till then get an oem.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

h2olawyer

I believe the fit problem is with the Fram oil filter.  I've heard of the problem with Fram oil filters being too long & also been told its not true.  Sounds like the Fram doesn't quite fit right after all.  I have used Yamaha oil filters for every oil change but one - I used an EMGO once.  It seemed fine but it just didn't look like quite as high quality as the Yamaha filter.  The cost of OEM oil filters isn't much different than the Fram anyway.

I don't know about the cobbled together air cleaner - if the measurements are correct, and reasonable care is used when assembling it, it probably will fit OK.  As long as the Yamaha air filters are available, go that route for clean air.  I have a UNI-Filter on mine & am happy with the way it fits & how it's made.  Sounds like they might have a quality control problem at the UNI factory.

H2O

MotorPlow

1st hand knowledge that the Fram Oil Filter does not fit. ?It is now sitting in the shop waiting to go back to Denis Kirk.

The Uni Air Filter I have is crap.  The underside foan seal is barely still attached to the plastic frame.  I am not happy with it.