News:

Main Menu

A warm day in Colorado

Started by h2olawyer, January 20, 2005, 08:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Well, with the thermometer reading in the mid 60s here, I decided to run my afternoon errands on the V.  Felt great to be out on the bike again.  Saw more than 10 other folks with the same idea - lots of riders out today.

The V ran great - not a stumble or hiccup & accelerated like it hadn't seen any storage time.  Glad the local constabulary was nowhere in sight when I tested that out.  ;D  It did need a few pounds of air in the tires but all other systems were 100%!  Glad I use Sta-bil & a battery tender.

Never got out on the open road but from home to the post office, court house, Harbor Freight Tools & the hardware store, I put on about 25 miles.  Still trying to get used to the lower 83 handlebar risers.  I definitely like the riding position better but the mirrors now give me a great view of my upper arms & shoulders.  Need to get used to fidgeting around to get a good view behind me.  Oh well, a small price to pay for riding here in mid January!

Hope the weather cooperates for all you other cold climate dwellers & you can get a short day in like I did.  It does wonders for the soul.  Worked almost as well as the two days of skiing I got in last week.  8)  Weather was a bit different then, 10 degrees F and the wind blew from 30 to 50 mph.  Serves me right for skiing at Snowy Range in Wyoming - it's always windy there but the skiing was fantastic anyway.  The powder was a bit tricky - 8 - 25 inches deep but with a 4+ inch wind crust on top.  Also, the powder under that crust was a bit windpacked in places so it made the skiing very interesting - especially for the first runs of the season.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

supervision

Hey Rob, I wish I could say we've had warm weather, but it's been fog overhead and only mid to upper 40's around here. We had quite a bit of rain past few weeks, it's just now dry enough to get a day out on the dirtbikes. Tomorrow my son and I are going to Hollister sun should be shinning and  warm temps.                              

Did you have the 83 bars at our rally? I remember you had just finished up the dual  disks .  Those bars are much better, the 82's have so much flex , and having so much better stopping power makes a huge difference. I'm still on the 82 pegs but maybe someday I'll try the 83's .   Before long I plan on ordering up a new set of tires,, be ready for spring (you listening visionmiester?)   That reminds me, we just put new tires on the xr200's last sat. can't wait to test the traction on the tt track tomorrow.

keep on posting, suervision

" border="0

h2olawyer

Hi Dave -

For the first time in the past 18 years, I still have snow in my front (north facing) yard that's been there since before Thanksgiving.  It hasn't been terribly cold, just haven't had any real warm days until yesterday & today.  Mostly low to mid 40s - like you, but at least we've had sunshine.  It's put a real crimp in my winter golf game - the courses have all been closed until yesterday.  Too many frozen greens.

Can't really complain though - great to ski a couple days in cold & powder and then ride the V a few days later.  At least it looks like we've finally broken out of our long drought.  Good news for the farmers & maybe no municipal watering restrictions for a change.

When riding around here in the winter months (November - April) you really need to keep a sharp eye out for sand & gravel spread on the roads for traction when it's slick.  Also, the shady areas can still hold a little ice so riding can be a bit tricky.  Maybe I ought to get some studded tires?  Saw some for mountain bikes the other day.

I still had the taller 82 risers at the rally.  Was talking with Ron & he mentioned he had a set of 83s so he sent them to me after I got home.  I'm planning on keeping the 82 pegs since the 83s make for a bit more cramped riding position.  You're right, the 83 risers are tons stiffer.  Never noticed it before since the V is is my first street bike & haven't ridden many others in the past 20+ years.

Have fun with your son & the dirt bikes!  I really miss my old KDX at times.  Too bad all my dirt bike friends sold theirs.  Oh well, that's what got me into the Vision in the first place, so I guess it wasn't all bad.  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.