Hint of Winter

Started by GAJim, November 10, 2003, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAJim

I know I am spoiled living near the Florida border, but whn I was out riding tonight sure could have used some gloves made me cut the ride short.  Once the V is warmed up I have no problem getting it to wheelie and it pulls fron wheel up as wheel between first and second.  Fun Fun Fun bike.  going to ride until it gets too cold to stand it then going to strip down and refinish frame and clean al those nasty connections as well as checking the starter clutch bolts as mine is noisy at idle but goes away with more rpms.

Blake

haha..i know this is probably asked all the time.. but as im almost at the point of bringing the bike in and stripping it down too.. any particular thing you do to wheelie it?  something take it up to like 9,000, close throttle, then wack open again?  or does it lift just on brute force...??

haha..just interested.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

yeah, don't wait too long on those clutch bolts, especially if your going to beat her.   ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

GAJim

nothing too hard....rolling in first gear just pull in clutch and accelarate... as pulls wheel up slightly when shifting from 1st to 2nd.  I think she wheelies easier now than she did when I got her over 14 years ago.  changes made have been 83 carbs and mac exaust and dyna coils.  Love this bike when she runs.

Rick G

May be I just hold my mouth right , but i rode the first one for three years and it NEVER let me down , I 'm still debugging the new one, so the jury is still out on it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RussD

Quotejust pull in clutch and accelarate... as pulls wheel up slightly when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Am I understanding you right Jim.......You pull the clutch in & accelerate?? Wouldn't that just make the engine spin free though? Or you're talking you keep the engine revved when you pop the clutch into 2nd & then she wheelies? I've wheelied her BIG TIME (can you say vertical) a few times on accident, but can't get much when I'm actually trying to do it on purpose!! ? ;)
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

Lucky

QuoteI've wheelied her BIG TIME (can you say vertical) a few times on accident, but can't get much when I'm actually trying to do it on purpose!! ? ;)

and to think this young man hasn't taken the MSF course YET...

Rick G

I was test riding a 750 Moto Guzzi  several decades ago and i missed a shift from  1st to second  and the revs shot up  I stuffed it in to 2nd again  and it bounced back into neutral ( Guzzis have millstones for gears) so i did it again  ans sine the revs went higher each time  it was really cranking , when I dropped the clutch . the Big clumsy bike stood straight  up  and I was clawing the tank trying  to get some weight on the front end , meanwhile I see I'm headed straight for a big tree , On a customers bike !!!.  I got it down just in time, to save my hide and job. I  never was much of  a wheely rider,  but for one brief moment I was King!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RussD

Some kid on a dirtbike was doing wheelies ALL up & down our road last week, 2 days in a row, with his girlfriend on the back no less. Neither of them were even wearing helmets......him I can see, but her was just stupid!!

And thanks for the guilt trip with an audience Luck!!   ;)

'82 Vision (Sold???)

GAJim

yes Russ pop the clutch.  need to preview text prior to post.  The nice thing about the vision is it is predictable, use to ride an RZ350 any hard accleration and you could count on riding light in the front, nearly vertical everytime.  I think I was about 15 when I rode one to a dragstrip with my dad he was riding a VMAX, brother riding FZ750 (both the first year of those).  We had a blast drag racing them, but the RZ pretty much rode the strip on the rear wheel for the most part.  The RZ was fun but with the way it is to have hair standing on the back of your neck.  Vision lets me have my fun and keep my drivers license.

RussD

Quote?need to preview text prior to post.
???

'82 Vision (Sold???)

GAJim

Russ I was referring to myself needing to review text prior to post.  I would omly willingly try to offend myself.

Jim

GAJim

as my previous post shows all too well my typing dilema. :-X

Lucky

it's called "Fat Fingers"
I just switched to a Compaq keyboard because it's black & silver like my desk, but the keys are closer together, like a mini kbd, or laptop, so i've been hitting the keys wrong a lot too

RussD

Thank you for the clarification Jim (and the explanation on the wheelie......even though Father Lucky won't approve......if Ricks not preachin' in my one ear about revving too high, I got Lucky on my case now about taking a safety course next season.....it's like my 2 dads ;))!!

I'm continually going back & modifying my posts because after I put it up, I find something I want/need to change (even this one)?:)

'82 Vision (Sold???)