News:

Main Menu

Mid America Motorplex

Started by Dave T., May 28, 2003, 07:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T.

I could probably post pictures and have a long story, but I will keep it short. Also this fourm doesn't have a browser to take pics off your computer, so No Pics...  :(

But anyway, I always wanted to see these sport bike "stunters", the ones that to stoppies, wheelies, tank spins etc. The closest event was 380 miles away. So, I wonder if the old V can make it. So, last week I changed the oil and filter, got a new front tire, and put in new spark plugs.

Saturday morning, I had my tank bag packed and ready to go. So off to Glenwood, Iowa from Minneapolis. Left about 8:30 a.m. I knew I was headed into some rainfall, said the weather person. Needless to say, the V ran flawlessly. I did about 65-70 all the way down there. Gas mileage was so-so around 40 mpg. I was wondering if my stator would make the trip, but no problems. The only problem I had, was when I was about 3 miles from MAM, the V started sputtering, I was on reserve, on the free way, and out of gas! There was a rest area 1/2 mile up the road too. :P Well, I knew this tank was goofy, so I put the rear wheel down the ditch, and leaned the bike over to the left to get the gas on the petcock side. Pushed it back onto the freeway and WA-La, it starts. So I ride the shoulder up to the rest stop. After pulling the tank and seeing how much fuel I had (about 1/2 gallon) I decide to go for it. Luckily for me 1 mile up the road there was a gas station.

That was about it from the V. I stayed in Council Bluffs Saturday night (just barely got a room at a Days Inn) and Sunday was beautiful. Saturday was bad, raining and cloudy. So after watching the races and the XSBA do stunts, I was in a better mood. Ride back the next day, made it home about 11:00 p.m. Sunday night. I got in close to 1000 miles on the V in 2 days, riding down through Souix Falls, and riding back through Des Moines, Iowa.  8)
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)