News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

** More** Vision Resources site updates

Started by Lucky, November 28, 2003, 12:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Updated Sunday:
I've added an "artwork" page containing pics of parts & Visions i've collected, I've only got about half a dozen pics up right now, but take a look. ?I'm trying to concentrate on the stuff you don't see every day, or that is no longer available, but if you have something unusual, send me an email and i'll see about putting it up there. (Rick, got a pic of your last V 'wheels up'? :)
Lots more to come.
http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142/art.html
--Lucky

I can finally acess my site to edit it (the problem ended up being a hardware issue, weird)
nothing earth shattering, just some fixes (the wiring diagram is now working) and updates & additions will be added (but no changes to the starter clutch page, sorry Scooter)
drop by and take a look, and as allways, comments & suggetions are welcome.
Thanks, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

BTW, if you get an error message from geocities/yahoo saying the site has had too many hits-per-hour you'll have to wait an hour to get to my site.  that's just something I have to put up with having free webspace.  It's usually caused by search engines crawling the site.
--Lucky

Rick G

No, it was after dark and I had other priorites, LOL I do have some shots of it taken about a week later , before I started disassembling it,.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

scootertramp

I went to your site and it is lookin' great! a ton of great info even retrads DOH! like me can figger oot! ahahaha!
The only tips i see missin' are the ANGLE of smack attack one puts on the block of wood that lays on the casing when removing the left cover.
what? do I hit from left to right  OR from back left to front trying to POP it off?
are the springs usually wore out? or them other thangs/ flat spotted rollers? what are those exactly? please?
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Rick G

Hit  it  (not too hard)  from  the top, if necessary try from the bottom , Your trying to break the gaskets seal . Its much easier with a candy axe, (plastic hammer). but it will work with a block of wood , JUST DON"T RESORT TO PRYING IT OFF WITH A SCREW DRIVER OR PUTTY KNIFE. Use patience pull the hammer towards you as you hit.
The springs are probably of ,but new ones arn't expensive. the rollers  are the  parts that jam in the slot and turn the engine
 Its called an "over running clutch" it turns the engine , but when the engine starts the clutch  is over run and disenguages.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Davide

??? ???Pictures of Lucky's 82 Vision, with 83 fairing, fuel system & Shoei hard bags ??? ???

where is the left pipe?????

Lucky

The macs have 2 exhaust pipes, both exit out the right side of the bike, with the rear muffler above the front.  one really usefull thing about this set-up is that since each cylinder has it's own muffler, if your only running on one cylinder, it's really easy to tell which one, just put your hand over the exhaust, you can feel it.

I have a set of Spec II's going on my spare 82 in the Spring, it's basicly the same design, except the front cyl exits runs down the left side of the bike, and the rear exits out the right side, so you have a pipe on both sides (nice if you don't like asemetrics :) )

--Lucky

JaBey

Just a suggestion for you website Lucky. Since you probably posess and take pictures of the parts, that you include a section on your site detailing the differences between 82' and 83' parts. I've noticed there is no real reference out there that covers this and much more than once I personally have questioned the differences. Just an idea.

Humber

nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Humber, I'm not so sure that the rings, crankshaft, balancer shaft, rods are different, the Specicifications [/b in the service manual are exactly the same.]They may have different part numbers (especially if you are looking at EU part numbers compaired to US part numbers, could be different manufacturers..?)

It might also be possable that those EU parts really are different than the US ones somehow...

The reason I know this is that I have a magazine ad that states ring pressure was reduced on the 83's so I checked the spec sheets in the back of the manuals, specs are the same (different machining I suppose)  I do beieve this to be true because if you have ever had the chance to listen to both an 82 &83 start, you can tell it turns over much easier.

Also, what makes you think the YICS is different? I've never heard that one.  doesn't mean it's not true, I just never heard it...

the only thing different about the headlight is that the trim ring is painted (plated?) gold. the glass, bulb & housing are the same, just the brackett for the mount is not used on the 83, it mounts into the fairing frame.

one minor thing you missed is that some item painted silver on the 82's are black on the 83's.  lower forks and rear end housing for example.

--Lucky

JaBey

Sounds like you guys have never seen the types of references I was refering to either:P This is where comparative pictures, specs, and means of identification would go a long way on your site Lucky.

Humber

Lucky... will try to explain..

rings are different, rods and crankshaft + plane bearings are different. U can even read it in haynes or in RK supplement. They advice not to mix 82 and 83 parts..... 28V doesn't result in different manufacturer.. parts may be lighter, better mateiral may be used... yamaha also introduce such changes in other models.. like fz750.. almost everything the same but still.. improved.. that's the progress...

As for EU parts.... don't think so... we are 11H as for the resto of parts...

Didn't have the occasion to hear the 83 cranking.. I have new 83 rings and will have an occasion to do so in future

YICS is 28v and I replied what u told long time ago. I think there was sth with those little rubber seal near the screws.... that's why I wrote.. functionality is the same.. both years are prone to failure...

as for the headlight... I meant headlight bucket here.. sorry but sometimes I think faster than I write... the bucket is different.... however 82 will fit.  I tried to list all differences... even the minor ones.... notice that an 83 has a little alternator wire clamp... I bought it because I want mine look 83.... every detail is important for me.. as for the framing.. this goes together with the fairing so no need to explain it....

painting... yes and not only that... did u notice that the small caps covering fork dampener allen bolts are also black?? and not silver??? did u find out the the rear ehxaust connector joints are also black chromed... know it since I have both in my garage...

Lucky... I have collected everything that is 28V even the airbox :-*, every 28V part is slightly different, it may be the colour only but as we see.... other technical mods can be found... take the carb for example..
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Ok, I see tighter clearances on the crankshaft, but that's about it.

Sorry, don't remember our conversation about the YICS, but I do know that the all had 2 screws with seals, kind of a thick gaskett material, but probablr commonly replaced with o-rings, and I even suggest the same on my site.  I do also remember Jason mentioning that the 83 on had a metalstrip core between the halves.

I admire your attention to detail, I have never seen fork cap covers in silver, just the black ones, poss that was an EU thing?
since owning a bike, and making customizations like paint, bags, etc is a personal thing, my personal feeling is that attention to detail is a subjective thing.  where one person may say that a certain section of frame must be black to be original, another person may say that it has to be black PAINT and powder-coating would not be accurate.  with that thinking, any type of coating in the tank would not be allowed, for example.  you see a lot of that kind of thing at car shows where the owner is trying to represent the vehicle EXACTLY as it would have appeared on the show room floor.

I'd like to have the time, money and resources to make mine as accurate as possable, but that just will never be, (unless I win the lottery, lol) the simple fact that i'm modeling my bike after an 83, even though it has 82 numbers is one reason), I have to settle for doing it the way it makes me happy, and that it certainly does!!   ;D ;D
--Lucky

Lucky

BTW JaBey, I don't have an 83 near me (anymore) or an unmolested (stock) 82 to take pics of for comparison.  I will keep an eye out for available shots, and post them if I can get a good amount (enough for a page)
Good Idea
Thanks, --Lucky

JaBey

Actually, if you would be interested in entertaining the idea, I still have 1 83' and 3 82' at my disposal. I also have a very high quality digital camera if you would like to give me a list of what photos you would like contributed to make it as content rich as you like. Are you going to ask for a domain for christmas? ;)

RobTx

Lucky, you can buy a domain name for as little as $9/year and webhosting for as little as $20 for more space than you'd need.  I might be able to provide the webspace at no cost if you have a domain name (www.visionresources.org is available, for example).  Email me if you're interested.
Rob