Sobering sight

Started by Walt_M., November 08, 2003, 02:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

Having some beautiful weather here. Decided to ride in to Tallahassee, pick up some odds and ends. Traffic was backed up on the way home, saw a Life Flight helicopter so I knew there was a wreck. Finally got to the scene and there was an old Chevy with a big dent in the right front fender and a smashed windshield and a big cruiser bike laying there in a heap. Don't know if the guy was wearing a helmet but, since they took him in a helicopter, he must have been. I certainly did not enjoy the rest of the ride home, but it was better than that guy's ride.
Guess it was just wishful thinking on my part, read the paper this morning and the guy didn't make it. No helmet, dang!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Silver_Bullet

Walt,

I've personally worked 35+ fatalities in 25 yrs. as a cop.  If I never see another it'll be too soon.  Our governor got a "no helmet" law passed a coupla years ago, fatalities increased like crazy.  New gov. to be elected the 15th, hope whoever gets in seeks to repeal that law.  Personally, can't make myself get on bike without a helmet.  Hate to see tragedy happen, just hope more people learn from the mistakes of others.

Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

Walt_M.

Yea, our helmet law was repealed some time ago, but we do have a seat belt law for cars. Go figure! Anyway, I wear mine, it doesn't make any sense not to.
Whale oil beef hooked!

kiawrench

have lost more than one friend to riding stupid.
  i catch a lot of grief for it at work, but i dont ride with out
a  helmet, jacket chaps ,boots and gloves.
    i wont even sit on a bike unless i am dressed to ride it.
  it was the way i was raised , the way i was taught , and the way i am teaching my own kids.  cant very well ask my two daughters to wear something i dont , so i just keep to the dress code, and hope that they will keep to it themselves when  i am not there to remind them .

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

RussD

Kia........We have a plaque in our house that says "Children learn what they live". We're sticklers about them wearing their seat belts, and sometimes when we forget ours, believe you me.......they remind us!!    ;)
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

swellman

Yes, everyone should wear a helmet.  I always do, and have never allowed any of my children to ride without.  But, I'm not sure there should be a law making us wear one.  For that matter, I don't like the seat belt law either.  Freedom is better that the government's version of what's good for us.