Triumph T600 Shock Conversion

Started by Glyn Pickering, March 04, 2005, 01:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn Pickering

Thought you may appreciate some pics and instructions on my shock conversion. Eye to eye length same as the Vision and the adaptors are fairly easy to make.

Extent has kindly  helped in improving the diags and loading the links. Thanks again.

Any specific Q's re how I welded up brackets, or did the installation etc   - I'm on pickteam@xtra.co.nz

The links are

http://levanthia.com/forum/download.php?id=63

http://levanthia.com/forum/download.php?id=64

I've just typed these in, so they may not work as a hyperlink. I'm not really sure how to do this. Perhaps someone could help me out!

Cheers

Glyn  

Extent

If you want to put pictures inline so they show up right in the message you have to do it like this

[img]http://levanthia.com/forum/download.php?id=63 [/img]
But the links work just fine.

-edit-
dear god that code formatting looks hideous
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Riche

Glyn you do nice work. Could you take a shot that shows the carb or have you already done that and I missed it? Here is an example of your link in img tags

just copy your web address to your clipboard and paste it between the tags. Here is an example using a { inplace of [ and } for ] ?{img}http://levanthia.com/forum/download.php?id=64{/img}

edit: LOL I take a closer look at extent's post and see I just duplicated his info in that black box. It's tough to have old eyes.

Glyn Pickering

Ta for those kind words Riche. When I see the condition of some of the bikes in the gallery, I'd have to say my bike is rather average. I like to tinker though.

Still really don't get the logic re the pictures. I havn't got a web address just an e mail. I will mail 2 pics of the carb to Extent and if he could just pop the links back to me I'll set up a seperate post. That's prob best so  you'll be able to see the carb.

You can't really tell that much from the pics however. I was so neurotic about having any air leaks in the manifolds that after welding up and painting I covered them in black gasket goo. This has worked well and no leaks that I can ascertain.
They now look quite dark in the pictures. I 'll send extent the  diagrams on how I manf the manifolds also.

Generally the carb has been successful, but since the Weber is so multi tunable - I'm still playing with jets to get it spot on. I've got 32mm venturi's in there at the mo (I turned out from 28mm versions).  

I'm a "don't keep it standard" person and always mess with all my bikes to a greater or lesser degree. Sometimes not to the best effect...
 ;)

h2olawyer

Glyn -

That shock install looks great.  How's the ride compared to the original?  Looking forward to seeing the carb setup.  I'm kind of the opposite - I like keeping things stock oriented but am willing to do things that will improve rideability like the dual discs & full fairing.  However, as parts wear out & become impossible to find, modifications like you did with the Webers will come in very handy.  Keep tinkering!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Glyn Pickering

I have only ridden it a short distance with it on, since it was peeing with rain at the time and I'm awaiting new set of jets from the USA to lean out the carb before I take her on a decent ride. Like most things not standard, it will prob need a bit of tinkering. I've got it on second to softest pre load and right in the middle of compression  at the moment. The spring wind up thingy on the main shock body is 1/2 way wound up, so plenty of room to play. Prob need to back that off. That'll mean taking the shock out. Prob ride it as is for a while to get a feel for it.  

It was a real easy job - (compared to the manifold construction for the Weber anything would be). I've lost my pics of the carb, but will take more next time I change the jets (about a week away). The top shock was a luvly exact sliding fit between the metal plates, using the thicknesses specified. It just worked that way without special planning.
The bottom 8mm plate was same as used for my manifold bases - I found this by the road one night when running home!, Maybe big "G" is a Vision rider.

I welded all the top mount up on a spares bike to stop warping of the metal etc.  I'm sure it could be done in a vice / bench jig however. First you knock in the base plate, nice snug sliding fit under the pround inner Vision 12mm holes. Hence the champhering to get a nice fit. Drill the top 10mm  sideplate holes first on a bench, makins ure they align well. Good plan is to clamp them together and drill one hole. Don't drill bottom holes (yet).
Then you clamp both sideplates to the frame with molegrips,  and put a 10mm bolt thro the top hole with a spacer (same width as shock). Washers may do. This is tightened up to prevent warping during welding. Make sure it is still the right width when tight!

You've now got both your plates clamped to the frame, with
 the top hole secured with your bolt and spacers. Sideplates should of course be sitting hard on the base plate.
Weld inside bottom of sideplates to base plate.  Good thick weld. Let cool. Now you can mark exactly in the middle of the bottomframe holes, for your base securing bolt (  I used masking tape and a pencil first thro the holes). You could use a 12mm bolt but I used two 10mm bolts due to the space restrictions for the nuts in the middle. I used / recommend using 2 bolts with locknuts at the base.  Make some bushes for the std holes. Drill your 10mm bottom holes (after knocking out the adaptor), give it a lick of paint and it sould all line up nicely. Bolt everything up nice and tight. It won't go anywhere.

Bottom mount is a breeze. Bottom eye of the T600 shock comes out. I had an old m/c axle of same diam. Turned 12mm on a lathe and the std pin shold be a tight sliding fit thro your drilled hole. Grease the life out of everything before assembling. Finally to protect the needle bearing abit more a made 2 thick rubber washers to fill the space left between the bush and the Vision shockmount. I've also made a rubber skirt (oops), I mean cover for the inside of the rear fender to stop all the crap getting on the shock. (see "Polish" post).

I'm sure I've bored you enough!

I'm totally shocked out.

Glyn Pickering

Just some hints.

You can see where the compression resevoir sits. You need to either remove, or cut in half (I did) the little tooltray thing
with the two frame clips on, otherwise the seat will not close.
Also feed in the resevoir under the tank mount bracket before mounting the shock. It will not fit tho the space once the shock is mounted. I know, been there done that, and you have to take the whole shock out again.  

h2olawyer

Glyn -

Interesting project - not boring at all.  :)

QuoteMaybe big "G" is a Vision rider.

The way the stators fry, maybe someone else possesses these things once in a while.  Maybe we all need to find a priest who will exorcise our Vs & finally cure the flaming stators?  lol

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Hi Glyn ,  what is the bike in he back ground , the one with the red shocks?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Glyn Pickering

It's one of my bargin - or more correctly "black hole for money" projects.

It's a s90 Honda,  tiny 89cc OHC single.I've got 3 in various states of disrepair. The idea is to make 1 runner as cheap as possible to use as a winter hack. Spent most of today making tank mounts for it since the orig had broken off. Not much $ just lots of time.  Too many projects, too little time...