News:

Main Menu

Wont' Start

Started by gaillarry, April 15, 2002, 05:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaillarry

I'm working on the Vision that I picked up last week, that had been in storage for years.  I changed all the fluids/plugs, cleaned the carbs and cleaned it up.

Using a new battery (from my other Vision) the bike turned over easily, gas to the carbs,  but a very weak spark, then the solenoid (starter relay) began clicking.  Now it won't turn over.

I took the solenoid off my other Vision (it works great) and still the clicking.  Both solenoids read 3.7 ohms which is good.

Using the TCI, battery and solenoid from my good Vision, still the clicking from the solenoid.  I cleaned the cable to the starter and still the click.

Any suggestions?

Lucky

sounds like your starter seal has leaked, when that happens, the brushes get impregnated with oil. starters won't work that way.  try swaping starters
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

gaillarry

Just pulled the starter off and it's soaked with oil.  I'll try my other starter tomorrow.

Anyone got a spare starter seal for sale??

QBS

Weak spark can be caused by corroded spark coil connections and....don't overlook corroded fuse connections.  Specifically the one called "ingnition".  Cheers.