News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

just gotta laugh ...

Started by redxz550inoz, November 14, 2004, 06:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redxz550inoz

just had to share this with everyone!
I have recently had the stator die on me but thankfully managed to locate a spare. Even if it was stuck fast in the side cover and absolutely filthy. Still, after copious amounts of WD40 and gentle persuasion with impact driver, out it came and into parts washer it went.
Got the old one out okay and good one in just like that yesterday afternoon.
After getting everything done/connected checked output of charging system - 14 - 15V, you little ripper!!

go out this morning to do a double check - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!
OMG i thought, you've got to be kidding!
Start going through the motions to check the whole system again - still nothing!!
OH NO. what have i done?!

turns out the voltmeter is dead!!!  ;D

if only it was always that simple!

christie

Rick G

I've been there and done that , I always check all readings with a second meter.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

silicon_toad2000

lol i made a worse mistake on the family car, bought a new starter as it wasnt working and the battery was testing 12.5 volts. Next one didn't work either, took it back and it worked fine. damnit the battery was so buggered that even at 12.5 volts it didnt have the current to click the starter over.
 :-[
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Lucky

I've got you both beat...
when I was very young I had a Chevy Caprice that wouldn't start. every time i hit the key it would die, lights & everything. ?I tore the whole wiring harness apart looking for a short. ?spent days on it & was ready to junk the car. ?turned out to be a severly corroded battery wire. ?the insulation looked fine, but the wire was dust inside!
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

Been there, done that, only with me it was a corroded battery negative wire on a '74 Toyota. I could jump start it but it would die when I took the jumper cables off. I put a new battery in it before I found it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

ps2/bikevision

yes this is a old post but i was reading through them and i just had to reply.

last summer after parking my bike accross the street.( i live in an apt. and there is a mini storage right accross the street. lucky for me) i was walking home which takes two min. and noticed a 1991  rodeo for sale $400. as i was looking at it the guy came out and started talking to me. found out he had anouther 4x4 v6 rodeo out back. said it had front end damage to it from a deer. so i checked it out for a buddy of mine who need a new motor for his.

the guy told me he bought it from a old guy who hit a deer and sold it, he drove it about 60 miles and parked it in the drive. he went out later to take move it and take the battery out to put back in his truck till he could get a new dog house for it and it wouldnt crank. the head lights worked but nothing else would. so he took the starter out and had it tested. it was good. by this time his wife was fed up and told him to just get rid of it and buy a new truck. so he did

i told my buddy about it and he came over and bought it. gave the guy $250 for it and pushed it to my parking lot (about 100 feet) we put a battery in it and started to check it out closer and new it was in the electral system. poped the fuse cover off under the hood and found it had a main 80amp fuse blown. used a short jumper wire and it came alive. it was getting to dark to put the starter back in so we used my truck to pull start it.

the darn thing fired right up and he drove it about 30 miles home. later he put the starter in. spent $500 for a new dog house and paint. then sold it for $2000. not to bad.

the next time i say the guy i told him what was wrong with it and he about died. just a blown fuse.