News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

just a thought...

Started by glennw, January 11, 2002, 02:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennw

Has anyone ever considered getting as many Visions together as we can at some kind of gathering
 I'm on the west coast but I think I could make to a summertime gathering in the middle of the country.
Comments?  ::)
Half Mad Max

Rick G

Hi Glen
Where on the west coast are you? I'm 10 miles east of Salem OR. and here are several Visions  north of here in WA  and BC.    Rick G
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

We tried, last year i think... at the mid ohio rally.  a few people found each other, and some others didn't.  others simply couldnt make it.  I think it would be great if we could find some central meeting point in the US where all of us visionaries could get together. (for maybe some event like mid ohio, but maybe not as big?)  Oh well.  Maybe if theres enough intrest we could get one this summer?  i'd be up for it.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Dave

I am down for Mid-Ohio Vintage days if anyone else is going. I should have my ride completed by then. Anyone else going?

jasonm.

There is a West coast Vintage Days and the Ohio one. We should make these 2 meets , "the official Vision Meets" as well.
Okay?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Kenny

I like the idea of a Vision Rally,This summer we are having the first BMWMOA rally to be held outside the USA in Trenton Ont.I will be working the rally runnung the oil change area.Hopefully it will be a sucess and I'll have some ideas for helping with a Vision Rally.
                                  Cheers Ken S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Brian Moffet

At one point in time, we had 5 Visions, 3 82 and 2 83's at my company.  It was rather strange to see them all lined up.

Wish I had a picture of it.  The Visions have all gone away, as has the company...  I think I am the only one of the original 5 that still owns a Vision.  I think the others bought 600F2s, or FZR bikes.

Brian

glennw

Where are these two events?
"West coast Vintage Days and the Ohio one"
I'm in Santa Barbara CA.  ???
Half Mad Max

yamy

Glenn - Mid Ohio event is at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio. About 60 miniutes north of Columbus.

Any luck on your fairing and handlebar search?

glennw

Yes the lower bars 2.75" shorter are coming, I found a 82 sport fairing (for $50.00) but it looks to me like two different styles and the one he has is not the one I like. (it's the red one on the ROV gallery). The Targa one is $229.00 unpainted, I think I'm just gong to bite the bullit but then I have to make it fit.

I found some "Progressive" (company name) spings for the front forks for $58.00 a set. I wonder if anybody on the site has experience with these. The front end "dive" on mine drives me crazy.
Half Mad Max

yamy

I have heard from several people that the cure for the diving is indeed Progressive front springs, and even a heavy spring for the rear would hlep the terminal bob-and-weave handling. I have springs coming too (Progressive), I'll let you know what I think after using them awhile.

Progressive is pretty well known for making quality stuff. :)

jasonm.

The rear bob and weave are caused by the lack of damping. Not spring rate. The '83 shock solved that. The front with the Progressives will not dive as bad. But the ride will be quite firm.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Ralf

Hai,
look at www.xz550.de. They started the german biggest XZ (vision) meeting in the last year (I dont know if there was one anytime before) . We counted 14 motos and a hand full more of their crazy riders in August at the Hennesee near Kassel. Pictures are available somewere there.
 ;D

ArrrGeee

Great Site!
even a tips and tricks section!
wish I could read German tho' :(

pat sullivan

Ron, Try the translator at altavista.com.  It's not perfect but it helps a lot.

Pat S.

mbaur

or you might try me, a native German visionaire in the Bay Area :)

The "Tipps und Tricks" section has all the familiar headings I have seen on this board over and over:

Alle Jahre wieder: Die Lichtmaschine (=stator)

2 useful hints here:
- always make sure you have plenty of oil in the crankcase to cool the stator
- the stator of the Honda Africa Twin fits and is more readily available (at least in Germany that is)

Der Laderegler (=regulator)

stator goes => regulator goes
So this happens quite frequently. They suggest building your own which is cheaper and more reliable. For instructions they refer to books about motorcycle electrics.

Der "Lagerschaden" (=bearings)

Apparently there is an unconfirmed rumor that a lot of XZs are retired because of some shot bearings. According to the rumor, the bearings are not really gone and there might only be a loose bolt on the counterbalancer.

Die Z?ndung (=ignition)

Common symptoms are that the V doesn't start when hot. Usually these are the results of moisture in the ignition module and bad soldering points.

Das Leistungsloch beim Gasaufreissen (=the vision stumble)

Ok. Now it get's interesting: The author claims he doesn't really know the cause of this (rumors say it's because of the flap in the air filter box) but has a few suggestions: He heard that there are Vs in the US running with some sort of vacuum operated air filter which is available with a carburetor upgrade from Yamaha. He asks about availability of this in Germany. Others say putting some ballast on the air filter flap to make it open later might help. Another suggestion is playing with the length of the rods to the accelerator pump.

To get back to the original topic: I have a sabatical coming up in June and I'd like to travel the west coast and maybe farther (preferably on my V then). If I could get together with some of you that would be splendid  :D

- Markus