Its Running!!!!!! Now What

Started by crackerkorean, May 21, 2005, 11:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

Today was a good day.
I got a battery for the V from my wifes work. I have never had to put acid in a battery but that wasnt to bad.

I set the battery in place put the cables on there and preceded to start it. I fought with it for about an hour thinking that I didnt get any spark but amazaingly it sputtered the on what I thought was going to be the last time to try before my friend came over to help.

After some messing with it I finially got it started. Although rough and rich it runs. ( this bike has been sitting for over a year and before that it was sitting for for 12).

I was able to get it to idle but at about 3k. If I tried to lower it at all it would die.  So there are several things to work on before its road worthy so I ahve several questions.

1. The petcock leaks and I saw some thread about it but was not able to find them. Is there a remedy? the bike will run with the petcock off.

2. What kind of tires should I get? I need one for the rear and front.

3. Where do you get parts to rebuild the front brake caliper?

4. What things should I take care of since it has been sitting for so long?

thanks for the help guys

h2olawyer

Congratulations on getting her fired up!

Did you slow charge the battery after adding the electrolyte?  Also, get a float charger to maintain good battery health.

After sitting that long, you need to:

1.  clean & synchronize the carbs - check for leaky YICS
2.  replace ALL fluids (brake, coolant, oil & driveshaft)
3.  replace all vacuum tubing - including YICS hoses
4.  check (& fix) all safety systems - lighting & brakes

Master Cylinder & caliper rebuild kits are available from Yamaha.  You may have to order individual caliper parts to get that job done - master cyl. kits are available for both 82 & 83.

If your petcock is an 82, you can rebuild it - there are kits available on eBay.  If it's an 83, you'll have a tough time.  Try a search for petcock - there has been recent activity - in the last couple weeks - about all you need to know regarding rebuilding them.

Get the best tires you can possibly afford.  Avon Super Venom, Pirelli Sport Demon, Metzeler Lasertec are all good.  There are a couple others that have been recommended as well.

Keep us posted on your progress!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

crackerkorean

I will check the YICS and get the carbs rebuilt.

Fluids are next I wanted to get it running before I did anything else.

My friend who owned it before me thinks the vacume lines are the cause of the rough and seeking idle.

All the lights work execpt the headlight. I am going to get a replacement and see if thats what It is. It might just be a fuse.

I have a friend that might be able to get me parts for the calipers. Good to know they are still avalible.

Awesome on the petcock I was worried that the 82 was just as bad off as the 83. I am glad its not.

How much am I looking at spending for tires?

Nope I just checked voltage and There was 12 volts so I went with it.

h2olawyer

YICS will give same or similar symptoms as bad vacuum lines.  The idle will tend to "hunt", varying from very slow idle (1000 RPM or less) to 2500 or 3000.  Lucky's site has about all the procedures for getting your V running well again. (www.xz550.com)

Tire prices can vary a lot.  Suggested retail on the ones I mentioned are around $100 each.  You can usually find them for less - there are several internet sources & your local dealers may have better prices than you think.  The Yamaha dealer here sells most brands for about 20% less than suggested retail.  Plan on spending an additional $15 - $25 per tire for mount & balance.

You might want to put the battery on a slow charge.  It needs to be brought up to full charge & held there for a few hours - preferably overnight - (around 13.5 - 14V) to make sure it keeps a full charge in the future.  Also, without a float charger, you will likely be buying a battery every year & putting unnecessary loads on the stator.

Hope I've been of some help & keep the questions coming!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

crackerkorean

I cant remember where I read this but im going to try running the bike with the YICS off because I just took it off the bike and it has internal and external leaks.

h2olawyer

Removing the YICS from the system is a good way to get it running right.  When you remove it, cap off the ports @ the engine so you don't have massive intake leaks.  Don't just connect the hoses.  You can use proper sized, tight fitting bolts in each YICS hose as caps.

There is some minor debate on the subject, but I believe strongly that a correctly installed and functioning YICS system adds noticeable performance gains.  However, to get the bike all sorted out, you can save the YICS repair for later, and concentrate on making it idle & rev without it.

H2O

h2olawyer

Removing the YICS from the system is a good way to get it running right. ?When you remove it, cap off the ports @ the engine so you don't have massive intake leaks. ?Don't just connect the hoses. ?You can use proper sized, tight fitting bolts in each YICS hose as caps.

There is some minor debate on the subject, but I believe strongly that a correctly installed and functioning YICS system adds noticeable performance gains. ?However, to get the bike all sorted out, you can save the YICS repair for later, and concentrate on making it idle & rev without it.

H2O

crackerkorean

Well even though my friend said the YICS was new and replaced its leaky inside and out.

Plugged the hoses and it idled witout any problems.

Also fixed the headlight so its quickly coming together. I do not really want to run it much until I change the oil. How hard is that to do? What about the rear end and the braking system?

I can work on a car all day but never worked on a bike. Also can I get an oil filter for the V?

Im als also debating between keeping the faraing on or taking it off. It looks good with out it but it might be because of the faded paint and the lack of mirrors on the faraing.

h2olawyer

Well, looks like the YICS needs repair.  Let us know when you want to tackle that one.  Try a search for YICS repair or see Luck'ys site.  There is a better method for splitting the box than detailed there (unless Lucky has updated it).

Oil changes are easy.  Have you got an owner's manual, the Haynes manual or a factory repair manual?  It is well detailed in each of them.  When you get a filter, also pick up an oil filter cover O-ring.

The drive oil is also easy.  There's a drain plug on the bottom of the rear drive unit.  Open it up & let it drain.  I believe the correct volume is even embossed into the drive unit.  (in metric units)  Use 80w Hypoid gear oil.  Bel-Ray is a good choice but about anybody's should be fine.

The brakes can be difficult to bleed.  It is best done with either the Haynes or factory manual & a friend.  SpeedBleeders help things out a bunch, too.

Use your best judgment on the fairing.  If it is a full 83 style, you can get new mirrors for about $55 each @ DGY Motorsports.  Then do what I'm about to try & restore the fairing.  That can wait until the major stuff is done.

H2O

crackerkorean

This morning (sunday) the bike fired right up without any problems.
I do have a gas leak and its not from the petcock.

Yea I saw the YICS repair section on Luckys site. I will tackle that later.

I do have the haynes manual. It came with the bike. Oil and rear diff doesnt sound to bad.
I guess I need to get a shopping list together and start buying stuff.

I still need to get a helmet and my liscense. Hopefully soon.

It is the full 83 faring. I think for now I am going to sand it down and paint everything flat black. This bike sat in the weather for 12 years so it looks a little rough.