News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Clean your connections

Started by Rick G, October 01, 2003, 07:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

We all know that the multi plug connectors get corroded and dirty with age . QBS  has recommended  hand cleaning them , to restore  reliable operation . I did a few  on my bike , but it was very tedious  and I never got them all done.
Receintly  while working on a '80  Yamaha 850 triple , I ran into a problem, with many of the electrical systems on the bike  being intermittiant , or not working at all.
Not wanting to mess with all the connectors , I tried something new . I have used CLR, the product used to clean up plumbing fixtures, so i deceided to try it on the multi plugs. I dipped them in CLR for 20 to 30 seconds , then dipped them in water for 60 seconds or so, I finished up with a squirt of WD -40  . After plugging everything back in, all the systems worked fine! Turn signals , horn , lights, starter button, the works! This was  several weeks ago and its still fine .
There was a lot of crud in the bottom of the bowl , which was dislodged by this treatment.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

bikehandle

rick
Great idea, I have used clr in old carb bowls to take the aluminum salts out and the crud left from old gas and water in them too. Just watch them closely.
god, save me from my fondest wish!

kiawrench

tried this,, actually got my horn working again, full pitch , even after hand cleaning ,,, thanks for tip,,, oh it also works to brighten up castings and casings,,, (not chrome shiny , but nice and even )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Coil Coyle

This is an exellent tip for cleaning the electrical connectors that us newbies should see.

I used vasoline after they dried., WD40 evaporates.

coil

ProfessorRex

Use WD40 and Vaseline (or dielectric grease)

The point of WD40 is Water Displacement (formula 40).  Using WD40 will guaranty that the connectors are water free.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Coil Coyle

Thanks  for the explanation, Rex. That would have speeded up the
reassembly.

coil