FUSE BOX REPLACEMENT?

Started by Don Minor, May 06, 2005, 07:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

The fuse box i bought was from waytek wire

www.waytekwire.com

Item number 46081

its a 6 fuse block, REAL nice quality.  I mean its a nice solid (thick) plastic) and definately looks of high quality (better than anything ive seen at autopart stores).  and its only $8.90.  But the only problem is this is a "bulk" supply house so theres a minimum order of 35 bucks or else you get charged $5 fee.  When i ordered it it was backordered and shipping for it was around $5.90 or so.  But another thing thats nice (if you want to upgrade) is a turn signal relay that works with LED lights (works from 1-20amp load).  only thing is its not a direct drop in replacement, youll have to rewire it slightly.  But the led flasher (part 47972) is about 10 bucks. not a bad replacement if your thinking about putting leds on.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Coil Coyle

NAPA #782-5316 $13.56 in Guerneville, Ca. In stck

Buss ATC Fuse Panel #15600-06-20.
Description in Swap

coil

Coil Coyle

;)
OK, the NAPA fuse box had a center bus with a stud on one side. I unlocked the plastic latches and pulled the whole thing apart and cut the bus between the first two fuses and the third and fourth to allow for the main and the switched supplies. Then snapped it all back together and screwed it into place where the stock one was.

Now I have:

-four fuses connected down the center by a separate bus. I powered these with the big Brown wire from the keyswitch connected to a 30 amp fuse. This supplies key switched power into the bus that holds the other three 10amp fuse circuits. I connected the stock circuits to these three and tied the old supply wires for the stock fuses back into the bundle after taping their ends.

-two fuses that are on a bus with a stud supplied by the big Red wire in the high temp. braided sleeve that comes from the Battery +. This bus has one 30amp fuse that powers the big Red wire to the Keyswitch and one spare 10amp I want to power the fan with. ::)

Now, any of you guys that have pulled a harness apart, two questions?

1. Where does the small Red wire to the fan fuse connect (splice?) into the main 30amp big Red wire from the fuse box to the Keyswitch?
How much ???of the harness would I have to strip apart to find this splice, cut it loose and feed fan circuit with my new spare 10amp fuse under the seat?

2. And, where is the fan fuse most likely to be on an 83 RK ??? What is the best
method of reaching it if the fairing is inplace when you start?

coil

YellowJacket!

on my 82, the fan fuse wa in the headlight basket.  Go to it by removing the headlight.  It was in a two piece snap-close fuse holder.
Although I don't have an 83 or a fairing, it should be similar.  If you can get your headlight off without removing the fairing, you should be able to get at it.

I just unwound the old tape on my 82 wiring harness and rewound new tape on it...but I did not pay attention to the splices...sorry.  I retaped as I was unwinding to minimize any mistakes.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)