News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Fan power splice

Started by Coil Coyle, May 26, 2005, 09:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

Now, any of you guys that have pulled a harness apart, two questions?

1. Where in the harness does the small Red wire to the fan fuse connect (splice?) into the main 30amp big Red wire from the fuse box to the Keyswitch?

How much ???of the harness would I have to strip apart to find this splice, cut it loose and feed fan circuit with my new spare 10amp fuse under the seat?

2. And, where is the fan fuse most likely to be on an 83 RK?  What is the best
method of reaching it if the fairing is inplace when you start?

Thanks for all of the other help, My V is running like it should.

coil

Lucky

I'm confused as to why you want to rip into the harness just to change the fuse location.  it seems to me that if you are concerned about the stock fuse holder for the fan in the headlight, it'd be much easier to just replace the fuse holder with a modern blade type inline holder. at the same time you could extend the wiring on the fuse holder to make it more accessable if you wish. save the spare spot in your fusebox for accessories like additional lights, guages, radar detector, gps, what have you...

just my .02

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

OK. Lucky
     What is the best way to reach the fuse in your headlight, starting with your RK fairing mounted?

:-\
coil

h2olawyer

Coil -

There should be two small holes toward the front of the upper fairing.  They may have grommets covering them.  Behind those holes, are the phillips screws that hold the headlight rim (& headlight) into the headlight bucket.  Remove those two screws and pull gently out & up on the headlight trim.  The glass & trim should come out as one unit.  Unplug the headlight & set aside.  The fuse will be in the gaping hole that is the headlight bucket.

Removing & reinstalling the screws through those holes is a little tricky but you can see what you're doing looking under the dash panel.  Sure beats unwrapping the harness.  You can also remove the fairing to make access easier but it isn't entirely necessary.

Just another thought.  On the 83s, there is a wiring bundle located near the horn, between the triple trees.  I've never seen the wiring for an RK so the fuse may be in that bundle (stuffed into a rubber box-like container.  The above instructions definitely apply to some RJ models with the full fairing.  When I mounted my fairing, I kept the fuse outside the headlight bucket & made some wiring containers out of an old wheelbarrow innertube.  The red wire with the fuse now resides there on my V.  It seemed to fit better there than inside the bucket as originally installed.

Either way, it's much easier than tearing into the wiring.

Hope this helps - at least a little.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Coil Coyle

Thanks, H2O.

This will be my morning tinker on the V project. I'll save the spare per Lucky.

coil