THE DAY I DID NOT RIDE

Started by Don Minor, February 12, 2005, 02:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Minor

;) Ok now that I have your attention.
Today is the first day this year that I did not get to ride.The little V started yesterday,no fire in the front cylander.But the K1200LT has been out every day.But not today!RAIN!!! The day was not a totally a bad one.I was just sitting around playing on the computer,and I found a Vision for sale.So I got in the truck and went to see.
  Well I bought another one! It is an 82' that has been sitting in a garage since 85'. The vin ends with 3681.The engine needs a going over, but otherwise the bike is perfect! The bike comes with all the plastic in perfect condition, the gas tank doesn't leak, the exhaust isn't rusted, the seat doesn't even have a tear, and the owners manual and tool kit are in the right spot.Oh and it has less than 2500 miles on it.
NOT BAD FOR A RAINY DAY!!!
I just had too,
Don

QBS

I've said it before and I'll say it again,...It's good to win!  Cheers.

Wayne

Don-Know the feeling. Purchased 82 model Nov.2004. Date of manufacture is Nov. 81-Vin ends 000335. Short coming of this, it does not have any updates. A continuing work of progress.-Wayne

h2olawyer

Great score, Don.  Good to hear that fancy German bike is getting you around SD!  It's been fairly nice around here for the past couple of weeks.  Haven't gotten in any riding, though.  Have fun getting that low mile V into top running condition.  How about swapping your old V engine with one of those little jet engines?  Might bring a new meaning to road rocket!  ;D

Take care & ride on!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

supervision

Good find!   maybe you can take it to work with you, have the guys pull a little maintence..  get  ready for the next rally   I'm working on some cobweb fiber out in the garage..  
" border="0

jasonm.

Quick, check if your new '82 has the carb/airbox upgrade. There is a complete NOS kit on Ebay. I see you only needing to do carb work. Also drill 1/16" drain holes on the lower mufflers' seams(6 o'clock). 1" from each end of the muffler body. Good find...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

glennw

Don, was the oil changed every 12 times the fan came on? lol
Great score.. you are the only Vision hunter in San Diego I guess.....

GlennW

PS are you going to ride it to the next CROV event?

Half Mad Max

Don

;D TO ALL,
All of the upgrades have been done to this bike.I don't know where it was stored, but the original tires don't even have any dry rot. I rebuilt the petcock and put some gas in the tank to see if it leaked.Just for kick I tried to start it.IT IS ALIVE!!! It only runs with the choke, so I'll have to dip the carbs. And Glenn, 20 year old oil STINKS!
  If someone comes up with a CROV ride I will try to show.
Don

Don

:D It is alive! Went to remove the carbs and found the line going to the fuel pump disconnected.So I hooked it up.Then I tried to start the little V one more time.Ran like crap.YICS not only leaks,but I could not tell from where. Replaced it with a spare(not perfect,but better),she starts right up,rev's all the way to red line. I let the little V warm up,and even the fan worked like new.Still have to replace the fornt forks(rust,but no leaks).I'll keep you posted on the progress of getting this one back on the rode.
Don

louthepou

Wow, Don, really sounds like a good, good find. Good for you!

Proves that Visions are always nicer in a neighbour's shed... Or something like that, anyway  ;D

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Rick G

If you need any front fork parts, I can help !  
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike