News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Vision dissed in Cycle World

Started by bmeyer6472, June 02, 2005, 11:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmeyer6472

Re: Cycle World, July, 2005: "Up Front" column by David Edwards.

The editor of Cycle World, in his latest column reflecting on the magazine's picks over the last 30 years for the outstanding motorcycles of the year, mentions that the '83 Vision was the magazine's pick for best middleweight of 1983. Unfortunately, he mentions it in a disparaging manner: "the late, unlamented Yamaha 550 Vision". After saying that the magazine got most of its picks right, and that they represent the very best of motorcycling, he then says he can't explain how the Vision was voted best middleweight back then, but then admits it was before his time. Too bad he's not smart enough to shut up about something he admits he knows nothing about, eh? I think Lucky might be able to enlighten him as to why the magazine made such a choice, as could many of the members of this site. Who knows, maybe he's a four cylinder guy, whatever. >:(

h2olawyer

Sounds like a good opportunity for a letter writing campaign!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

Edwards is a bit of a dork and somewhat full of himself. One of his recent personal acquisitions is a 'bagger' CBX Honda. Talk about a piece of crap!
Whale oil beef hooked!

silicon_toad2000

hey i had a honda cbx 250 single, it was a good bike.
It hauled my fat arse around for a few years and didn't give up the ghost until the top end chewed itself out after it wore through the chrome plating on the rockers.
hmmm maybe it wasnt that good after all.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Junior

Perhaps he read  about the new Aprilla SXV 450/550 that Frenchman Jerome Giraudo used to steal the S2 title last November from Honda rider Max Verderosa. This engine is a 77-degree V-twin SVX motor designed by Ampelio Macchi. Aprillia's competitors have tried to ban the bike from competition with a official complaint to FIM from the Motorcycles Sport Manufacturers Association(MSMA) It is heart warming for  the SXV indicates Yamaha had the plan they did not follow through with, for if  Aprilia put this ina street bike, Adios Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda on the tracks in the CC class. Soooooooo, the Vision was winner, just took a few years to get there. Ha! Have a great weekend everyone

MotorPlow

I don't subscribe to Cycle World...
Can you post the letters to the editor email or snail mail address?

Thanx,
Chris F.

gbranche

Walt_M.

Mr silicon_toad, the CBX I was referring to was a 1000cc in-line 6 that Honda sold in the US in the late 70s to early 80s. They did not sell well as a sport bike as the other Japanese 1000s were faster and they were a pain to maintain. Care to synch 6 carbs? They put saddlebags on them later and tried the sport-tourer route, same result. Yamaha isn't the only manufacturer to build an 'orphan'.
Whale oil beef hooked!

ProfessorRex

Quote from: Walt_M. on June 04, 2005, 04:31:54 AM
Care to synch 6 carbs?

I would love to sync 6 carbs!  If you can find someone to buy me a CBX (bags+fairing, naked, whatever)  I'll sync them twice a week.

The vision sounds cool, but this sounds better:
CBX
http://www.kz1300.com/julian-cbx-running-through-gears.wav

KZ1300 (the other 6cyl jap bike)
http://www.kz1300.com/julian-kz1300-running-through-gears.mp3

:::EDIT:::
To keep this post on topic:
That damn jerk at cycle world, were's his head?! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE! David Edwards? more like David Ass-Hat.  :D
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Blake

I'll admit,

After watching "Mad Max" for the first time, i definately thought about picking up a z1 or cbx (and that engine overhang was a HUGE draw.haha..definately could only go in a straight line) but then i turned the channel and watched merry melodies and came out of that trance. ;D

What i would LOVE to get my hands on though, is one of those last 3 cylinder two stroke road bikes they made, i remember they were loaded with problems, but man those things were a beast.  Then again, there was that guy in australia that used a 3 cylinder two stroke snowmobile engine and custom built a sportbike frame around it.  i remember that ride write up was quite a good one :) something like 150 or so hp out of that.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Koaps

Heh, if you want mad max style, check out the Jesse James Peterbilt chopper.

Its got a big rig engine, heh.

-K

louthepou

Yeah, I was... surprised? Ticked-off?

I subscribe to CW, mostly for Egan and Cameron's contributions. I guess if you've ridden every single motorcycle in the world, your ability to appreciate the ones offering character to compensate for a few flaws may be diminished.

But look at it this way, guys - If Edwards had said "Of course the Vision is the finest thing on two wheels that anyone ever rode around", all the readers would want to get one, and you couldn't find a cheap basketcase XZ, and there'd be TV shows on Discovery about a family screaming at each other things like "The stator is fried? Well I'll fry your ass!", or "So you think my front end is wobbly?", or some other stuff.

Cheers!

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Brian Moffet

Quote from: louthepou on June 06, 2005, 09:20:14 PM
"So you think my front end is wobbly?",

Wobbly front ends can be fun, just not on my motorcycle.

The only magazine (motorcycle) I susbscribe to right now is American Motorcyclist.  All of the other ones seem to be focused on the newest from Japan, which look really uncomfortable, or the latest BMW which I can't afford.

As far as people dissing the Vision, who cares.  It's not the stock market, the value of the bike isn't going to go down as more people downgrade it.  It's still a fun bike, even just cruising down the freeway.

Brian

Coil Coyle

? ? After I wrongly named Peter Egan as the writer of this editorial in a thread i put in "Off Topic", David Edwards exchanged a couple of mails with me.
? ? He seems willing to ride a Vision when one becomes convenient to him. One of you So. Cal guys that want to offer him a ride?

Who knows what he might reciprocate with!? ?::)? ? ? ? ? ?

A CBX bagger?? ?:P? ? ?Maybe with titanium Jesse James spark blocks on the ends of the crankcases!!!? ? ? :o? ? ? ?;) ;D
coil

Superfly

Blackie will be up (and painted!) this weekend, so I will let him take her out.  With all of her 83 upgrades and the Supertrapp exhaust, blackie is riding great!  Where is he in SoCal?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Superfly

I just sent an email, and this is what it said.

Dave,? In reference to your current stand on the Yamaha Vision (XZ550) and conversations you have had with the member(s) of the ROV (Riders of Vision) forum.? I am willing to bring my Vision up to you to let you take her out for a test ride.? It is very hard to make an assessment of a motorcycle that you have not had a chance to ride.? Feel free to contact me to set up a time, so you can ride a Vision, and then you can have the knowledge to form a valid opinion on the bike that many of us consider a Classic Motorcycle.? Thank You.

Ducatisti

Well everyone, Superfly sent me the link and he can vouch for me always having an opinion, sometimes even a relevant one.  I used to crave 4 cyl. bikes.  I built several in the late 70's - 80's, all with a Bassani pipe and some hellacious motor and suspension mods ('80 GS 1000, '81 GPZ 550, '84 GS750).  Everyone flew like God's own wings and the sound was very cool.

Then I rode a CBX with a built Ontario Moto-Tech motor and pipe.  Oh My Gawd!  The thing sounded like an F-18 and felt about as fast.  Handling and braking would have been sub-par had it not been for the OMT upgrades.  I rode a stocker afterwards and was amazed at how fun it was too.  I even used to run around on a 'streeted' TZ 750 and a BIG turbo 1200 Sportster (yes, they were big and brass before I gave them to my S.O... :-) ).

Then, one day on The Crest, I was initiated into the V-Twin lifestyle ala an 888SPO.  IMHO, there is nothing better.  I don't care who makes it, the sound is just amazing.  I may ride a Ducati (stop laughing Superfly, it does run...occasionally...and I will fix that 'occasional' part soon), but I appreciate all motorcycles, especially V-Twins.

As far as moto-journalists go, I tend to feel that most of them are hacks, with rare exceptions, who are paid by the manufacturers for their opinions.  Remember, believe only half of what you see and none of what you read...or something like that.  Regardless of whether or not others like the Visions, they are another example of the evolving history of this type of engine.  The one picture Superfly showed me of a modded dirt tracker was very cool!

If Superfly and I can get a particular Vision concept and project to work...in the future, he will certainly have made a statement that this forum can be proud of.  Me?  I am just here for ornamental purposes.

Ciao.

Superfly

Just got a reply from David Edwards.  Thought I would post it.

"Peter, thanks for the offer. I've had several. You guys are nothing if
not passionate about the Vision. I might just have to take you up on the
offer. Let me get this issue shipped and I'll be in touch.

Best,
David Edwards
Editor-in-Chief