My Vision TODO list

Started by mark_m, June 09, 2005, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_m

I bought my vision last Friday and have done the following so far:

Stripped the carbs to pieces and cleaned them. One of the accelerator nozzles got damaged when I tried to remove it from the carb, so I used a very tough hi-temp epoxy to try to repair it. The bike runs a lot smoother and idles better but I think the epoxy fix didn't work too great because she surges a little when I open the throttle abruptly. So I'm going to have to get a torch and do a lead weld I think. Also she seems to idle very high when cold and I have to do some serious adjustment on the idle screw once she warms up.
I changed the oil, put in a better inline gas filter and replaced some pipes and hose clamps.

TODO:
1. Fix that accelerator nozzle.
2. The front brake doesn't brake as hard as it could - it's not possible to lock the wheel. I noticed grease on the disk when I bought the bike. So I'm going to replace the pads and if that doesn't fix it I'll think about replacing the hose with a better one with woven metal that I read about on this site.
3. Clean the engine - it's filthy with dust/oil mixture.
4. Replace the front tire. I've ordered it and should be here tomorrow. Cost $110 from Yamaha.
5. Replace a rubber boot on the front brake caliper - also ordered from Yamaha. The old one got eaten last friday when I sprayed disc cleaner on the disk to try to fix the squishy brake problem so I could ride the bike from the sellers house to mine.
6. Clean the valves - don't know what's involved yet, but when I removed the carbs and peered down the intake manifolds with a headlamp I saw the valves are covered in thick black gunk (carbon?) that I'm hoping to clean off.
7. Do all routine maintainance in the Yamaha service manual - check valve clearance etc. Not sure if number 6 can be done as part of this - I suspect I have to dig a little deeper intot he engine to get the valves out to clean them?

OK so this is partly for my own benifit, but thought I'd share my Vision adventures with y'all. :)

Mark.

EH

You are on the right track with this detailed maintenance. I often (twice a riding season) use STP valve cleaner in my gas tank. and have very little of that black gunk on my valves.

Superfly

As for the front brake, Go steel braded brake line.  Unbelieveable difference.  I would try to compair the two, but there is no compairison!!

Run the Electrex tests for your charging system (if you haven't already)

If not done already, directly connect your Stator/ RR / and harness.  The little connectors will melt, and fry your charging system...... Check out Lucky's site for more info!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

Am i the only one who has problems with STP? anytime i've ever used any product with the stp logo on it i've had a catastrofic failure of one sort or another.. probably just bad coincidences i know, but is it just me?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mark_m

Testing. I had some problems posting to the site last night. Couldn't get 2 long posts to submit.

Mark.

MotorPlow

Quote from: mark_m on June 10, 2005, 01:21:18 PM
Testing. I had some problems posting to the site last night. Couldn't get 2 long posts to submit.

Mark.

Same here.  Said the server was busy.

mark_m

This is totally offtopic, but:

If ROV uses the same hosting facility I use (serverbeach) it may be related the the problems we had yesterday with our website. I run a job search engine at http://www.workzoo.com/ and we were down for most of yesterday thanks to a huge power outage in Virginia at our hosting center. Apparently the backup generators kicked in but someone forgot to connect the ventelation system to the generators and they had to shut down servers because the temp jumped to 120F in the server room.  The blackout took down over 5000 commercial customers in the area according to the power company.