News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

KBC Helmets

Started by crackerkorean, July 01, 2005, 09:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

Wanting to get on the road I am going with a cheaper helmet. I have found one particular brand callede KBC that comes reccomended form a cycle shop around here.

I am looking at the VR-2
Any input would be helpful

Mutt

I have a KBC TK201S (whatever that is). Anyway I also have a HJC and an older Bell. The KBC is the cheapest of my helmets but it is also the most comfortable and allows the least amount of road noise. To me that makes it safer than my other helmets. It's said your head is only worth as much as your helmet. At 70 MPH + I would rather spend more money on leathers.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

crackerkorean

I have heard the same as you about your head and helmet but the thing is does that take into account elevated prices due to brand and what not?

I want to get a safe helmet but I cannot spend tons so im not sure where to go.

I still also need to get a jacket and gloves. So budget does play a factor in the whole thing.

ProfessorRex

I went with a shoei RF1000 because I wanted a helmet with a DOT and a SNELL certification.

The KBC Helmet recieves good reviews:
http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/reviews.php?prodID=757
http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/reviews.php?prodID=815

Get GOOD GLOVES!!!  They don't need to be all high tech, just good quality.  If you need a mental justification for spending a bit extra on gloves... imagine driving down the road at 50mph, opening the door, and laying all your weight down on your hands.  And a statistic: in minor accidents where the rider is otherwise uninjured, ungloved riders suffer from massive bleeding from their hands.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

crackerkorean

Yea the KBC is snell and DOT approved alont with as they put it "Meets or Exceeds All major worldwide safety standards and tests". I am going tommorow to double check fit to make sure it does fit well.

I am not sure what kind of gloves to get. I knwo you have the standard leather ones but then there are ones that have like CF plastic knuckles.

dtknox

crackerkorean,

My bother has KBC's helmets and has been pleased with them and they have received good reviews. I would of purchased one, but they do not fit me well (it seem that I have a long-oval head).

I look for thee things in a helmet: 1) Snell and DOT approval, 2) fit and 3) air flow. After these three, the lowest price wins.

Thanks

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

crackerkorean

Not having much expereince and from what people tell me. It fits me well.

It is DOT and SNELL approved and has others well it seems.

And its in my price range. I really liked the arai Astral X but 450 for a new rider is just a little hard to swallow.

redxz550inoz

for what it's worth, I have a KBC also
When I bought this one last year, I tried on every other brand helmet in the shop and the KBC was far and away the most comfortable one I tried as well as being at the low end of the price scale  :D
Here is Australia it is compulsory that the helmet you wear has the australian standards sticker (or "DOT" & "Snell" sticker) so I know it's ok.

bmeyer6472

There was a helmet comparison article recently in Motorcyclist magazine ( if I recall correctly  ???), and the conclusion was that some of the more inexpensive helmets actually protected you better in a crash. Apparently there is some controversy, which I was not aware of, as to the effectiveness of the Snell rating as it pertains to actual crash conditions, as opposed to test conditions. At the end of the article, they recommended that you do yourself a favor and go out and buy the cheapest helmet they had in the comparison. Naturally, I have no brain and can't remember the name of the helmet they were talking about. But the article was pretty much in depth and interesting - it convinced me not to spend $400+ on my next helmet. Just for what it's worth, I'm no expert, but it would be worth reading for prospective helmet buyers, IMHO. ::)

crackerkorean

I ordered my helmet today. I went ahead and got the KBC. It fits just as well as the arai and is both DOT (A tupperware bowl with a chin strap could be DOT approved) but also snell approved.

I know how to get hung up on the graphics but I wanted something I liked the way it looks. Its loud and noticeable which is something I want to be, is noticed. For safety sake more than anything else.

bmeyer6472

The helmet article I mentioned in my last post is online at www. motorcyclistonline.com for anyone who's interested.