Main Menu

shift shaft seal

Started by ps2/bikevision, July 10, 2005, 12:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

ok i was told to change to shift shaft seal while i was changing the stator. i have run into a problem. was i mis informed or what. acording to my manual the in order to change to seal you must crack to case. is this so or am i just not understanding it corectley. i have the seal but i cant see how to change it without the shaft comming out.

also i havent been able to find yamabond4 the local shop is out what other sealents can i use and where should i use them at.

Lucky

once the stator cover is off just remove the snap ring & the washer over the seal.  then screw a sheetrock screw into the seal & pull it out.  use a deep socket to install the new seal.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ps2/bikevision

alright now i get it thanks lucky. im working on it now and have been waiting to put it all back together to find out on the seal. and i got to find some yamabond4 or similar to seal it all back up.

Coil Coyle

Lucky or PS2,
        What is the part # or size of this seal?

I am doing my flywheel tonight, can I buy this seal at an auto parts?

coil

Lucky

Coil, the seal size is 12x22x5 i think i got it from the dealer...
PS2, you can buy Hondabond4 from the dealer, it's the same thing.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

"Threebond 1104" is also the same stuff.

ps2/bikevision

alright ill try to find threebond 1104 is it sold at part stores or is it a dealer product only. the problem ive got now is my dealer is a yahama dealer and when i ordered my parts i asked them to put a tube of yamabond up for me and they didnt and now they are out and wont get any more till tuesday. so now the v is sitting in peices in the garage.

i decied sence i cant put the case back to gether yet i might as well move the r/r while i got the down time

MotorPlow

I got my Threebond 1104 from a dealer somewhere, it was a multi-brand dealership. However, I did see it once or twice at a regular auto parts store.