Rare '82 carb update kit.

Started by QBS, February 11, 2005, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Currently on ebay is what appears to be a NOS '82 carb update kit.  AKA the intake flapper kit.  Bidding starts at $45.00 US with no reserve.  Unbelievable!  God bless all.

silicon_toad2000

damn exchange rate and postage

hey has anyone got the specs and stuff for this update kit, is it possible to make your own, I'm sure it could be done, has anyone done it yet?
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

h2olawyer

Tough to make your own.  The kit comes with a new top for the front carb.  There are a couple additional fittings for vacuum & the little additional air filter.  The rest of the parts may be available from other.  The airbox top also requires a place to mount the vacuum diaphram & actuating rod.

I'd imagine there are several folks on the forum that have all the parts to make up a full upgrade kit for you for less money than they are asking for the NOS kit on ebay.  There is also an adjustment required on the accelerator pump.  The instructions are posted on Lucky's site.  http://www.xz550.com/airbox.html

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Paul_Jungnitsch

It was an over-rated problem, for mine anyway. The nasty hesitation my Vision had stock went (largely) away once I adjusted the idle mixture away from the very lean stock settings. Only came back if the airfilter got really restricted.

Heh, that said, it's the only bike I've had since '87, so maybe a person gets used to it. :)

h2olawyer

Mine had the update when I bought it new in 84.  Even with it, it still had a major 4K stumble & the throttle was very sensitive - could only roll on easy.  Got it running better after the first major carb cleaning.  Then after I found this site a couple years ago, I tuned it a little better.  What made the most difference was making the differential manometer & getting the carbs in synch.  Now, no stumble & I can crack the throttle wide open from any RPM with no hesitation.  Every once in a while it does have a very minor hiccup but those are quite small & extremely rare.

Mine has a few periods of multi-year no-ride storage & the carbs were really gummy the first time I did them.  I think it sat @ the dealer for long enough that the carbs were a bit dirty when I bought it & they gradually got worse over time.  I agree that it starts & idles much better with a little richer setting on the pilot screws.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

I'm in a similar situation as H2O. Once I brought my Vision back from a hibernation period of 2 or three years, I put the Mac exhaust on it, and a wizard (my good ol' trusted and very apt mechanic) played with the jetting, with the accel pump, synched the carbs and what not. The stumble is gone. Oh, and part of his magic involved ripping the update off...

I know, I know, tons of engineers, millions of dollars in reasearch, Yamama is a huge corporation... But I'm telling you, I've got the original 82 carb, and the bike has never been running better in all of it's life since that half day spent at my buddy's shop.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

supervision

Ha, h2, how bout you just box up your motor and carbs and send em to my house?  then next time you come out this way you can have em back..
" border="0