News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Factory Sport Fairing

Started by Rob_OS23, January 30, 2005, 06:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob_OS23

Ok, one more topic here.  I just purchased the factory sport fairing (same one as Dale Knox's in the gallery).  I have been told that all the mounting hardware I need is included.  What exactly should I be making sure I am getting?

dtknox

Rob,

The fairing has a mounting bracket across the top and a shorter one across the bottom. There should be four, two piece, clamps that are fitted around the fork tubes and bolt to the ends of the fairing?s mounting bracket.  Last there are two rubber panels that are fitted to the side of the fairing and have cutouts for the turn signals.

It is simple to mount, light and works well.

Ride Safe,

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

Rob_OS23

Thanks for the info, hopefully I get all that I need.  So I giess I dont move the headlight at all then?  I know with other fairings you have to, requiring an additional harness for the headlight....

Glyn Pickering

I've just fitted the same Yamaha Sport fairing to my XZ.
I took it off a spares bike and forgot how all the bracketry fitted. I could not get the lower fairing mounted bracket to align with the split fork clamp holes for some reason. I ended up making up two small stainless metal brackets to join the two. Simply a strip of metal kinked top and bottom to take up the angle distance and finished with an 8mm hole at each end for the bolts. I have cut my screen down significantly due to a split in in. The orig looked rather tall anyway.

Thought it might be nice to try and make the front light opening flush with the rest of the fairing, more like a modern fairing. I may try to do this with some perspex in time.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Glyn    :)

dtknox

Rob,

No, you do not have to make any changes to the headlight with the fairing that I have. It is really a simple set up. So ther is no problem pulling it off for a weekend or putting it back on for a long ride on the freeways.

Thanks

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

Paul_Jungnitsch

Something to note when mounting these fairings (assume they are similar to my 'shark type') is avoiding any stress to the bolts that go through the plexiglass. Mine had a crack that kept slowly enlarging from one of the top mounting holes. Didn't stop until I redrilled the hole slightly (only very slightly, arghh) to alleviate the very small amount of stress present.

Another tip (if rubber washers are present between the fairing and the mounting points, as on mine) is to glue these washers permanently in place. Removes the need to fight with them when lining things up.

Rob_OS23

Thanks for the tips!
I will have to see the fairing(should be here soon) before I know exactly what you are talking about with these bolts through the plexiglass.....are you talking about them being in there snug, and the wind pushing on the glass, causing the bolts to put pressure on the glass around them, and then causing cracks to form?

Paul_Jungnitsch

(On mine anyway) the mount bolts don't fit snug in the holes in the fairing, there is a little bit of play, all except in that one hole. The mount must have been out a little bit or the mount hole was not drilled perfectly right. It was not very tight though, I was surprised that it stressed things enough to keep cracking the plexiglass.

Rob_OS23

Might be a good idea to make sure they are not too snug.  This is coming off a used bike, so I assume if it was going to crack, it would have by now.  I wonder if maybe rubber washers is  good idea....

h2olawyer

Rob -

The rubber washers are a good idea.  They isolate some of the vibration & ease some of the mounting stresses.  You only need to put them between the fairing & the fairing mounts.  They aren't necessary between the mounts & bike.  Most hardware stores should have a decent supply of neoprene washers that work well for this application.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dtknox

The model that I have does not use bolts to attach the Plexiglas windscreen to the fairing.  The windscreen has five tabs that fit into slots in the plastic fairing and your secure it with rubber clips on the inside..

It has worked very well, on my fairing. No cracks or problems with it coming loss.

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97