Racing Visions

Started by EH, February 03, 2005, 01:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EH

Michael moore from the eurospares website that I posted earlier was kind enough to answer an email and put me on the trail to one of the stroker Visions that were on the page. I talked with Craig Hanson from Hanson Racing Tech (530-342-8049) and he gave me the number of the builder of the 720cc Vision with the unusual front suspension. Apparently that machine never raced due to front suspension and exhaust plumbing difficulties. I am going to contact Greg Stevenson soon and try to get information on things like the water pump he changed, the oil cooler installation, and the chain drive conversion. Craig Hanson had alot of info on some faults with the engine in stock form. He believes the stock water pump spins too fast and cavitates due to the ratio between engine speed and the water pump drive. He also believes the counterbalncer is the source of most of the excess heat produced in the lower end. That one may be a racing consideration though. One more thing he remembers being changed were the rods and the rod bearings. They actually used connecting rods from an Opel engine. He remembers they were from an 1100cc 4 cylinder Opel engine. They ground the crank .002" and used a federal Mogul bearing book to select rod bearings. I will try to get the info and maybe photos too.

Lucky

That would be great info! i'm particuarly interested in how they plumbed the oil cooler. I want to know how close I came in my prototype (that I have no plans on using)

http://www.xz550.com/oil_gallery.html

Ed, i'll be in touch for a Thursday night if the weather ever warms up...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

Hey Lucky,  I was playing around with the idea of an oil cooler also,  conceptually, I was thinking of coming off of the oil filter cover, mounting the cooler over the radiatior, but I was thinking about sending the return into the stator side oil line extension (that comes with the full fairing) with a "T" connection.  But I decided to run the bike into a side of a mountain instead, so my plans have been on hold!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

if nyou did that, you'd be sending oil from the pump to the cooler, & back into the pan, bypassing the filter & starving the engine of oil!  don't do it.

i've really researched this, and have gone so far as to pull apart a left side engine cover & have a machine shop make up plugs for the oil passage to the filter. I have a bunch of the plugs somewhere if you are brave enough to try it. i'd like to see what Ed has to say when he finds out how it was plumbed on Greg Stevensons engine.

BTW, Ed, replacing the waterpump pullys with underrun pullys (larger, turn slower) is common practice on race engines, to save horesepower. it was a long time ago & i'd bet that's how he remembered it...

Lucky

Superfly

I did say it was conceptual didn't I (LOL)!!!  :D I have not done enough research into it (like you have), but I have seen some where they pull the 2 lines off of the oil filter cover.  what do you think of something like that?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

hopefully, this will explane how I have it set up.  basicly, i'm diverting the oil from entering the filter, cooling the oil, and returning it to the filter housing.