News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Hot Doggie!!! I'm A RIDER of Vision!!!

Started by YellowJacket!, July 20, 2005, 03:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Today is the day that I became a rider of Vision.  I finished rebuilding my carbs and put the tank on. Primed it and jumpin jimminies it started on the FIRST crank!!!  It Idles at about 4000 rpm so I have to do some adjustments but man it sounds good.  Little smoke but that is probably the oil I put in the Cyls to keep them clean.   ;D  ;D  :D  ;D  ;D  :D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Dave -

CONGRATS! ;D! 8)! :D  Rising from "Rebuilder with Vision" to "Rider of Vision" is a huge step!

Now the fun of carb adjustment & synch.  Check your vacuum lines - if you haven't replaced them all yet & don't forget to check the YICS lines & chamber(s) as well.

When I stored mine once, I put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders.  Got it running a couple years later (fired right up with a jump) and cleared a two square block area of mosquitos.  The copious amount of smoke was amazing - really thick, too.  On a short ride, it took about a mile for it all to burn away.  ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Just got back from a 5 minute ride and it was great.  Idle is between 4000 and 5000.

Vac lines are all brand new.

Ran hot but I realized I forgot to bleed the air out of the cooling lines when I put it back together so Ill let her cool down and do that tomorrow.

Acceleration is very smooth and she runs very well without a stumble.  I am running my modified YICS and the improved Carb/airbox combo.

David

h2olawyer

COOL!  The normal "Vision Stumble" occurs around 4000 RPM.  But with all your hard work, you may have eliminated it.  Burping the cooling system is important for it to function properly.

Ain't it great to be rewarded for all that hard work?!?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Various parts purchased on Ebay - $247.00

Brake and Clutch lever, Rubber Accessories from DGY - $63.00

Por-15 Kit - $37.00

Assorted Cleaning, finishing and painting parts from Advanced Auto - $150.00

Various Tools that I "needed" - $200.00

Lucky's CD's - $15.00

Fuel Tank Repair - $240.00

Getting to ride my Vision for the first time... PRICELESS!!!

DaveTN

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

louthepou

Have I ever mentioned there's nothing like the felling of total exhilaration, experienced during a first ride in a long time, on a bike you fixed, overcoming tons of unforseen problems?

Cheers Dave

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

crackerkorean

CONGRATS!!!!!
I hope soon I will be in the same place

jasonm.

get the idle to the normal 1300...then ride it....mine pulls from 2500 up smooth and fast. Have funnnn
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

YellowJacket!

I posted in Tech Talk that I fixed the high idle speed problem.  It was my modified YICS.  As soon as I plugged the YICS Ports off, the idle came down to about 1450 RPM.  Went for about a 30 minute ride around my neighborhood (have to get it licensed) and everything went great.  Shifting is dead on.  Still has a little stumble but it is not the original set of carbs from MY bike, So I will surely have to sync them.  I did dip them after removing everything removable.  Reassembly went well.

After my ride today I realized that I was smiling so big that I had a few dozen bugs for dinner...a start of my new high protien diet.

My 39th birthday is coming up in September and my parents told me that since I got the bike running (everyone doubted my abilities, but with all you guys AND gals help and advice, I prevailed) they would give me an early BD present and spring for the MSF course that is offered at our local community college.

Now all I need is to repaint the plastics and tank and I have a "brand new" 23 year old bike.

It's a great feeling and I have all of you to thank for all the help, advice and suggestions you have provided.  One day, I hope to meet as many of you as possible at one of the gatherings.

Best Regards,

David Arpino

Walt_M.

Congratulations! And, the MSF course is definitely worth it. Take it before you develop too many bad habits.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

I'm not entirely convinced Your YICS is the problem (unless it's leaking) ?the idle will normally drop a couple hundred rpm with it disconnected, infact, you should synq the crbs with it capped.

with the idle speed screw backed all the way of the throtles should be completely closed, the bike shouldn't even run... ?I have a feeling after you synq the carbs, the YICS's will be fine.

& double check them for a leak.

remember, it'll take a little while to get used to the funny looks you get when people catch you screaming & laughing maniacly in your helmet... ?Congrats, Job well done (but your never really done, lol)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Just reading your story made me grin - remembering finally getting mine to really run.  Even new from the dealer it had a nasty stumble around 4K.  Could never really get on it.  Always had to gently roll on the throttle.  After a couple attempts at cleaning & adjusting the carbs, it ran like never before.  It's amazing what a few people with good knowledge of this bike can help you do.

I'm taking the MSF course this weekend.  Just got back from the first classroom session.  We ride Saturday morning & almost all day Sunday.  The instructor said those of us with some experience will be kind of bored on Saturday morning but should learn lots on Sunday.  So far, I'm glad I enrolled & am looking forward to changing any bad habits I've got or to look at potential danger situations in different ways.  Can't help but make me a better & safer rider!

I recommend this course to anybody who either hasn't taken a riding course or took one but its been a few years.  You can never ride too prepared!

H2O

YellowJacket!

Did a little more tweaking today and burped my cooling system.  My local UPS guy is a motorcycle nut and has been rebuilding a kamakazi er um, kawasaki and has stopped in a few times to check on my progress.  He delivered my helmet today and I cranked her right up for him.  He was very surprized.  I told him that I had some more tweaking to do and he told me "Why, it sounds almost perfect!!".  After a short demo up and down the street and a critique of my riding, he pronounced my bike a success.

Rode some more this afternoon and it is getting better each day (I had not ridden since before my V was built).  It has enormous pickup in every gear, shifts smooth as silk and seems loaded with torque.  Temp gauge is dead center now since burping.  Still running without U-YICS until I can get some stiffer hoses and find a closer place to put them other than the frame rails under the tank.  Hose length was about 10 inches.  I'd like to get it down to about 5".

For the sake of comparison, the next day my B-I-L and I can coordinate our days off, I'm going to ride his 1100 HD Sportster and he is going to ride my V.

I'm going to post a picture of the semi-finished bike this weekend.

David

Coil Coyle

Dave,
You are getting the short end of that exchange. Be sure to wear thick socks and gloves, stop often to let the blood flow back into your limbs when you have to drive that HD.

;D

coil

YellowJacket!

Heres the almost finished product.  I took the front fender oof for paint and the tank is primer coated but it and the other plastics will get painted either next week or the week after and then she's ALL done.

But here is the fruits of my labor:

David

YellowJacket!

Willie

That is gorgeous!

Congrats!!

Enjoy!!!

Bill

h2olawyer

David -

Looking real good!  All your hard work is paying off.  Hope to see the pix after you paint.  Same color or are you going to surprise us?

H2O

YellowJacket!

Right now I'm leaning towards black but I'm also tossing around the idea of a higher visibility color like yellow or orange (Tennessee Volunteer fan) since both would go well with the black frame etc.

David