good things come to thoes who wait

Started by Louis Browning, February 03, 2005, 07:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Browning

Dear all,
    For the first time in 10 years my '82 yamaha vision came to life tonight.  :D  while it was running I had to step back and smile.  It sounded so good even though it was running on only one cylinder.  But we did it.  im going to go through the carb's one more time tomarrow and see what that does.  The front cylinder was the one not firing.im going to take it around the block tomarrow and see what that fork wobble is all about.  Dont laugh at me for askin' but is it possible to eliminate that by putting a set of forks from a varago or a seca maybe? or is it a problem in the frame?  thanks evryone for all your help and ill try to get some pictures of my bike on here as soon as I can.  although it isn't very pretty yet.
                       You guys are great!
                                    louis
P.S.  I have a small list of parts I need if anyone has any spares... first i need a key switch with key second i need the long side cover on the left back side, I also need the passenger grab bar on the left side and last I need rear view mirrors.  Does anyone have extra's of these parts?

Lucky

Congrats! it's a good feeling huh!

I have the grab rail if you want it, it's yours for $5 plus shipping, email me.

for the ft cyl not firing, try disconnecting the yellow wire with the black tracer at the TCI 6 pin connector. this wire comes from the rev limiter in the tach.  it often fails, causing the rev limiter to cut in early or permanantly. Radio Shack sells an inexpensive tool to remove the pins without cutting the wire.

fork wobble:
The Visions ft end is unique with the wheel trailing.  if you change the ft end for something other than stock, your messing with the ft end geometry. under some circumstances that can be dangerous...

first be sure everything is straight & tight in the ft end. head bearing, tire condition, even tire brand can all cause wobble. if the tirtes have been sitting on the bike unused 10 years, then your surely going to replace them anyway, so see if it still wobbles after their swapped out. also a fork brace will help out a lot, if you can find one... :(

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

I had a Dakota Fork brace, loved it, really helped!  but, I lost it in the accident!!!  It snapped in half.  But I would like to try to find another.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

louthepou

Hey Louis, let me know if there are a few parts you need, I too have a few spares of... well, a bunch of parts.

On the bike I ride, I found a fork brace helped a lot, as well as making sure the wear is even on the tire.

Cheers!

Louis (the Louthepou one)
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Extent

QuoteRadio Shack sells an inexpensive tool to remove the pins without cutting the wire.

You don't even need that.  You can just unscrew the yellow wire from the back of the tach in the guage cluster and zip tie it out of the way or cover the end w/ electrical tape.  It's one of three wires on the back of the tach.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

QuoteYou don't even need that.  You can just unscrew the yellow wire from the back of the tach in the guage cluster and zip tie it out of the way or cover the end w/ electrical tape.  It's one of three wires on the back of the tach

my bike has a fairing, so I sometimes forget how much easier it is to access the back of the tach & that is a much harder task with a fairing.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rob_OS23

Hey, I think I have a key switch as well as the one for the seat. ?I know I have the key, it's in my pocket. ?However, Venture has my parts bike, so I will have to email him and ask him what I have on the parts bike. ?If you want it. ?Let me know if you still need it.